Chapter Fifteen: Kyle

*Morristown, New Jersey

2 weeks later....*

I was released from the hospital a few days after the cop asked us to testify against Smith. I was given a week of strict bed rest, a bottle of painkillers, and medical bills that the police department generously offered to pay. I did not oppose to that last part.

Layla and I laid low for a bit, hiding out in our little sanctuary until the next Monday, the day we were supposed to meet back at the police station to discuss the case.

We entered the station at around lunch time and Detective Anderson filled us in upon arrival. Apparently, Smith is already preparing for trial on one count of attempted murder, assault, identity theft, and prison escape.

The two of us were flown to New Jersey for this trial on Wednesday in order to testify against him on Thursday. I now sit in the hotel room with Layla, lying in bed next to her. Her head is rested on my chest, close to falling asleep.

"We don't have to do this you know." I whisper grabbing the hand that rests on my chest.

"Yes we do. You know we have to."

I release a sigh, "You don't. Just say the word and we can go."

"He needs to pay for what he's done. If it takes me to show them how evil he is, then so be it. I won't rest until he's locked away."

I smile and lean down to place a kiss on her head. "God you're so brave. How do you do it?"

She looks up at me, her eyes glossy from the forming tears. "Oh please, I'm not brave at all." A tear rolls down her cheek, "I was never brave."

I lift her up and pull her closer to me, allowing her to cry on my shoulder. It reminds me of the night that started this whole problem, making me even more angry at Smith.

"It's okay." I whisper soothingly in her ear, "It's not your fault."

"But it is," she sobs, "It's all my fault. You almost died. I almost lost you."

I hold her tighter, "But you didn't, that's what matters." I lightly grasp her chin and lift it up towards me. "We're together and we always will be. Remember that, okay?"

She sniffs and nods silently, not breaking eye contact with me. Her tears slowly stop falling and her breathing becomes steady once again. We sit in silence watching the sunset through the window, waiting patiently for the night.

"If I were to die tomorrow, what would you do?" Her question catches me off guard, making me sit up straighter. She quickly continues, noticing my sudden tenseness, "I'm not suicidal or anything like that, but I just want to know. What would you do?"

I stay quiet for a long time, not wanting to answer the question. "I don't know." It came out almost a whisper and I immediately squeeze her tighter, "and I don't want to know."

She takes a breath, as if not wanting to continue, "That's how I felt. I just didn't know what I would do if you didn't wake up. I was terrified."

"I saw my parents before I woke up."

She raises an eyebrow, "You did?"

I nod. "They were holding hands, smiling." I say remembering my encounter with them, "I was ecstatic just being near them again, seeing them together, but they were sad. I told them I wanted to stay with them, but my father stopped me." I look at her, "He told me to go back to you."

I pause before finally answering her original question, "If the roles were switched, and there wasn't enough time to save you, I would keep living, mostly because I think you'd want me to. But I assure you that not a day would pass where I didn't think about you. For the rest of my existence, I would happily await the day when I finally get to see your beautiful face again." I lean down and place a light kiss on her lips, "I love you, just remember that."