Chapter Twelve: Layla

"Detective Warner." I say as we enter the station. Kyle and I had slept for most of the day, so by the time five came around, we just decided to come down to the station early.

"Layla." He replies. He nods curtly to Kyle and beckons us further into the station.

"So what exactly is this plan?" Kyle asks in a harsh tone. I wish he wouldn't sound so obvious all the time. He might have a better chance of saving himself from everything if he did.

"Well," Warner starts, "to start, we're going to put Layla in our prime suspect's area of attack."

"And how exactly are you going to do that?" I ask, scared of where this was going.

"Oh, don't worry. We'll have you wired up and a perimeter will be set up around the block. He won't hurt you."

I knew that every single word that came out of his mouth was a lie. I just didn't want him to know that I knew. Not yet.

"Am I allowed to be there with her?" Kyle asks.

"Unfortunately no. The two of you together would only deter him from her. He'd only want to go after her alone."

I was going to die tonight. I knew I was. It was the only thing that made any logical sense. He was going to kill me and blame it on some innocent guy, just to get out of another crime.

"Now if you would just follow me into the briefing room so I can tell you how this plan is to occur."

Kyle and I both walk forward.

"Just Layla, if you don't mind."

I look back at him with a stern look, asking him not to make a scene. "I'll be back in a second."

"Okay." He says but stands in a rigid position as he watches the two of us walk away. Warner's hand rests on my back and I immediately shake it off. "Don't touch me you filthy son of a bitch." I say under my breath just loud enough for him to hear, but not Kyle. His hand returns to his side.

The room is completely empty and the only way out is the way we came in. There are no listening devices, no double windows, no nothing. It's just a room with a large table and a few chairs around it.

"Have a seat." He says and points to one of the empty chairs.

"So what is the real plan?"

"I'm going to kill you."

"I figured as much. But why risk getting fired?"

"I have to keep this job, and the only way I can do that is if you and your nosey little boyfriend are out of the picture."

"I told you not to lay a finger on him!"

"I didn't promise anything, and I am definitely not taking any orders from you."

"Leave him out of this."

"Oh he will be for a little bit, only until he starts asking questions."

"Please. Don't hurt him."

"And what makes you think I won't?"

"I'll make you a deal." I say blindly. I don't know where the words came from, but I knew I had to do something.

"I'm listening."

"Kill me. I'll give you no grief. I won't try to run or call for help anything. You can get rid of me, but you can't let him know what happened. Tell him I went missing or something, but don't tell him I'm dead. Got it?"

Warner stays silent for a moment contemplating the deal then nods, "Okay. Let's go then."

He opens the door and leads me back towards the area by his office. Before we get there I glance back at him, "Just let me talk to him for a second."