Chapter 3

As the night forced the sun away, Winter found herself sitting at the edge of the roof, watching the clouds accumulating nearby. She could smell the rain. It was a refreshing scent. She found that she loved the rain, just like (y/n).

She sighed again, watching the lightning course through a cloud. In cooperation with the rain, even Remnant was trying to send her a message.

She'd never been attracted to anyone before (y/n). But it wasn't (y/n) himself, right? She was impressed by the man's combat ability. His strength. His tenacity. She'd never felt aroused by his presence, but that wasn't much of a benchmark since she didn't feel aroused around anyone for that matter.

She narrowed her eyes as another flash made a spiderweb of electricity along the ever-darkening clouds. She didn't want (y/n) to leave. Was she really as bad as what Weiss had said? Why was it so difficult? If she was really in love with him, shouldn't it be easy?

So many questions. Too many questions.

"Winter?"

She looked down as her sister poked her head out of the window. "I was worried about you. I'm sorry for being so flat with you earlier."

Winter sighed as she hopped down from the roof. "I deserved it."

"So does that mean y-"

"No. I don't know. Nothing makes sense." There was nothing except silence from the sisters.

"Just open up a little, Winter. I just want you to be happy."

"You should head to bed. It's getting late."

Weiss sighed as she walked away from the window and her sister. "I mean it, Winter. It's time to try something new. Work isn't going to sustain your forever."

"It doesn't even now..." Winter muttered under her breath, not letting Weiss hear her.

After a few minutes, the rain started to fall hard and fast. Winter made her way back onto the roof as the rain splashed against her. She tilted her head up to the clouds, telling herself it was just the rain running down her face. Nothing more.

_____

She'd finally headed home, long after the rain had soaked her down to the core. The shower she had taken did nothing to ease the chill that lingered. Winter laid down in bed, but sleep refused to come.

She rolled over restlessly and pulled the blankets around her shivering form. Why couldn't she warm herself up? Her mind uninhibitedly returned to (y/n). He was always warm.

Weather in Vacuo is pretty unpredictable. The day had been hotter than anything Winter had experienced before, but the night came with the polar opposite. A strong chill ran through her body as the temperature outside had dropped significantly. Watch duty was going to be a long and unhappy few hours. Maybe it was karma. Maybe she should stop kicking the soldiers who don't listen. A smirk spread over her lips as a shiver ran up her spine. "Nah."

"Well aren't you the sun of a clear sky even in the middle of the night." She met (y/n)'s smirk with one of her own. One more annoyed than her previous one.

"Why are you up?"

"Came to check up on you. It's gonna be a cold night." He held out a steaming mug of something. True tea? It didn't smell like a berry or herbal tea. It was hot, though. Just what she needed and she gracefully accepted the drink.

"Aren't you cold?" She asked with curiosity. Winter scanned over (y/n)'s sand beige t-shirt and plain grey sweatpants. While the pants kept him partially warm, the t-shirt probably didn't offer much against the chilly night.