Chapter 4

She paced. She paced so much her sister would've told her to sit before she tore a hole in the carpet. But Weiss wasn't here. She was alone, so she kept pacing, deep in thought.

(y/n) kissed her.

She was conflicted. Her body certainly responded. For a few moments, she reacted, wanting more. She never reacting like that towards anyone. But then again, she's never been kissed like that before. Was it normal? Was the fire she felt inside normal?

She'd been attracted to someone in that way for the first time. "What a mess..." She mumbled to herself. Weiss was right. She needed to try something new, but trying new things was hard. Would her parents look on from beyond the grave with pride or disappointment?

She ran her hands through her hair in frustration. She wanted to punch something.

Punch something? Hadn't she already done that? (y/n)! She jumped out of her bedroom and down the stairs so fast she almost tripped over herself. The thought of (y/n) unconscious and bleeding pulled at her stomach with fear.

The scene that greeted her downstairs was only slightly better than she expected. Glass was scattered on the floor and the table was still sitting on its side. (y/n) was gone. It did little to soothe her nerves.

She knew (y/n) well enough to know he'd go to Jamie. He'd want to talk to someone and get some treatment for the glass.

Winter raced for the door.

_____

Jamie opened the door, surprised to see Winter standing there. "Oh-" But Winter didn't wait for her to greet her or invite her in. Upon spotting (y/n), she pushed past Jamie, who quickly got out of the way. She closed the door with a faint smile, then turned to watch, hoping this meeting between Winter and (y/n) wouldn't go south as fast as a Nevermore dive.

(y/n) was rotating his shoulder gingerly, making sure the bandages Jamie applied on him weren't too tight. He ignored the knocking on the door, figuring it wasn't his business or it was Winter there to release her anger again. But he relaxed with a sigh when a gentle hug came from behind. Winter wrapped his arms around him.

"I'm sorry. I really am." She repeated between sobs.

(y/n) stiffened a little. He definitely wasn't expecting this. It was probably the opposite of what he was expecting. He grunted and almost regretted what he had to say. "Let go."

Winter's eyes opened in an instant, hesitant to wipe the tears away from her eyes. She was afraid (y/n) was really mad at her. I mean, he had every right to be.

"Winter, please. Fresh bandages." His breath was tight. The increasing pressure from Winter's sudden hug was crushing his torso, making the lacerations that covered his body sting like hell.

Winter immediately released him when she realized she was hurting him again. "I'm sorry," she mumbled.

Jamie patted her on the shoulder to reassure her as she sat back down next to (y/n). She went back to cleaning up and bandaging the few remaining cuts that were still exposed. (y/n) managed to turn to Winter, though he received a glare from Jamie for moving too much.

(y/n) watched Winter staring at her hands, which here held into tight fists on her thighs. "Stop that." He told her irritably. This wasn't Winter. This was the broken down Winter that was a sad husk of what she usually is. "Snowflake." She met his eyes timidly. (y/n) sighed. "I'm okay. You're okay. I'm not mad at you." When her expression didn't change, he continued. "I mean, we're even now. I made a mistake, you made a mistake. Clean slate then, yeah?"

Winter's eyes narrowed a bit as she let what (y/n) said sink in. After a moment, she nodded, looking a little closer to her regular self. Mentally, (y/n) breathed a sigh of relief. He didn't like seeing Winter like that. It was another hurt she didn't need.