Chapter 5 (Finale)

They arrived at the station early. The train had been one of the first pieces of Vale technology to be restored and put into use. In its past life, it carried resources between Vale and Vacuo. Now, the carts have been refurbished into passenger carriers and the station has expanded to hold many more people. (y/n) simply saw it as a change in the time. Things had to change or else they would fade into history.

To their surprise, friends from Beacon as well as the Vacuan military decided to show up, braving the early morning to see (y/n) off. Hugs were shared, tears were shed, and threats to hunt him down if he doesn't come back were exchanged. They laughed and everyone pretended like this was normal. Pretended there was no danger.

Winter knew better. She knew how dangerous this was, and she was still rather upset at (y/n) for not reconsidering. In her heart, though, she couldn't be mad at him. (y/n) always carried himself with a certain confidence that never wavered, but Winter was one of the only people who's seen him fall apart, multiple times in fact. Most times, they revolved around loss. Loss of his home, friends, and family. No one else, maybe not even Jamie, knew how hard this transition was for him.

That is what they became for each other. They became the pillars of emotional stability in each other's lives. The pillar to lean on during their weakest moments and shield them from prying eyes. It was hard to show weakness around friends.

Winter watched as Nora hugged (y/n). She was bawling. Being the hyperenergetic person she was, everything she did was exaggerated, even crying. "Promise you're coming back! I'll break your legs if you don't!"

Ren placed a hand on his wife's shoulder as she backed away from (y/n). "He'll be okay. He's strong."

Nora's tears were replaced with a gleaming smile. "Yeah! (y/n)'s the strongest ever!"

Everyone laughed, even Yang after a slighted "Hey!" Everyone except Winter.

"Tch." She crossed her arms over her chest and looked away. She became an outcast within their group of friends and loosely related family.

She felt (y/n) move closer to her. "Now now Snowflake, no need to be sour." She turned to see (y/n) grinning. "You can be the strongest while I'm gone." Again, the group laughed, and thankfully, Winter chuckled this time.

The group began to move inside, sharing stories and catching up on things since the last time they had been together. Winter and (y/n) trailed behind, taking the opportunity to look at them and think on how far they had all come.

Yang had restored her motorcycle and began travelling up and down the Kingdom of Vacuo as a courier. While she did admit she missed the action and thrill of combat during her time at Beacon, she found herself amid the action with her thrillseeking mentality, fighting small gangs and Grimm that roamed the outskirts of Vacuo.

Nora and Ren had gotten married a few months after escaping the Vale attack. While most people thought they were rather young to get married, the connection the two shared was undeniable. Even someone like Winter, who hadn't even met them before the fall of Beacon could see the bond those two had.

Jaune had grown into a fine young man. He enrolled in a small university to study psychology, which surprised (y/n) to say the least. He expected Jaune to continue the Arc family's line of huntsmen. Everyone was proud of him though. At first, (y/n) was worried he would shut down and shut everyone out after he lost Pyrrha, but he's grown a lot since the attack. Now, he's adjusted and is now better than he's ever been.

Of course, Jaune still had his sisters. All of them, especially Saphron, was quickly welcomed into the 'family' that was the Vale survivors and co. These days, she's still living in Argus with her wife and helping her out whenever she needs it.