Chapter 1

It was the beginning of September and I was getting ready for my first day as a senior in high school. It's been tough these past two years. I never thought I would make it. I've worked hard and can honestly say I'm finally in a better place in my life. The darkness I felt back then was overwhelming, to say the least. A shiver crept up my spine as I remembered all of the things that have happened. Day by day Sammy. That's what I keep telling myself.

Well, it was a surprisingly a  warm day so I decided on a pair of skinny jeans and a blue top. I looked in the mirror at the girl staring back at me. I almost didn't recognize her. I made the decision to make changes in my life after that dreadful night.

I broke up with Tony and I learned to love myself first. The anger I felt for him has finally subsided. I thought I loved him, but his dark side came to the surface when I told him I wasn't ready to take our relationship to the next level. It was downhill from there.

I started running regularly and attended Kickboxing classes several times a week. I learned self defense and got into the best shape of my life. Running and kickboxing became my solice. I am grateful I was able to handle all of the curve balls life threw at me with something positive. My life could have taken an unexpected turn if I chose to stop the pain by using drugs or alcohol. God knows I was close.

I glanced one more time in the mirror. I put my hair in a ponytail and added some light makeup and headed downstairs to breakfast.

"Hi sweetie, breakfast is almost ready" my mom says as I run down stairs.

She was beautiful. She was slender with dark hair and blue eyes. She still gets up every morning to make breakfast for Nate and I. My Mom works at a local wedding planning company. She loves it. Her boss really likes her and she's doing an amazing job. She just got another client and has been busy planning for the wedding, which will be in May. I love hearing about her day. She gets so excited. It's nice to finally see her smile.

"Where is Nate" I asked.

"He's still sleeping. He finished classes yesterday and decided to sleep in. He should be up in a bit" My mom replied.

"Oh ok." I replied.

I was just about to take a seat on one of the bar stools when the doorbell rang.

" I'll get it." I say.

I opened the door and there was Johnny. He has been my best friend since the third grade and he was such a sweetheart. We both professed our love for each other last year and started dating this past May. I honestly do not know where I would be without him. He is handsome, kind and patient. I'm still trying to get used to the obsession the girls at our school have over him. It is nauseating to say the least, but I can see why.

He caught me staring and I felt my cheeks burning. He gave me his usual smirk. He went to visit his family in California over the summer. He still has a nice glow. He was in great shape. You could see the outline of his muscles through his thin white t shirt. He is 6"2 with light brown hair and piercing blue eyes.

"Hi Sammy" He says and gives me a big bear hug and kisses me lightly on the lips.

"Hi handsome".

God he was gorgeous. He has been picking me up for school everyday since he got his license last year.

"My mom made breakfast are you hungry."

"When am I not hungry Sammy." he laughs.

I chuckle knowing full well this to be true.
We head into the kitchen, my mom was about done.

"Hi johnny."

"Hi Mrs H."He gives her a kiss on her cheek and she smiles. "That's what my mom keeps saying." He says smiling, showing his perfect white teeth.