Chapter 12- Reality?

As much as he loved to admit it, Conrad was happy that they got smacked on the head.   Some might have said it wasn't necessary, but it was. 

Beep... Beep...  Said the board in front of him.  The Box was calling him.

Superiors... "Yes?"

"Was that completely necessary?"  came the nasally high-pitched voice of one of the Government officials. There were so many over viewing this particular project, he couldn't name this particular lady.  He had talked to all of them prior to the beginning of the project, but only remembered a few of their names. 

This one also appears to be an idiot.  All twelve of them had copies of what was supposed to be happening. 

"Yes Ma'am.  It says why in your outline." 

"All it says is that 'concussed minds should be easier to control.'"

"Read before and after that line and you should understand."  Conrad replied, making a disgusted sound after the connection was cut. 

Why is she on the crew if she doesn't understand what's going on? 

Turning back to the videoscreens, he noticed all twelve were in their chairs, ready to go. 

Man, that is a lot of wires.  And it was indeed.  The children each had about twelve wires attached to their faces, all hooked up to a central system, leaving the floor a mess of wires. 

"James, have any of them reached the point yet?"

"No boss, one's close though." 

"How close?  Which one?"

"Number  64_ Waves a bit more than an inch apart.   Just dropped to an inch, start now?"

"Go ahead." 

In the large room where the twelve lay in varying levels of unconciousness, James turned on one of the four machines.  "It's on.  Ten minutes starting now.  Injecting."

_____________________________________

Zoe woke in a hospital, at least she thought she was.   She felt awful, almost worse than the time she accidentally used Zelaia's makeup.  There were people all around her. One asked her if she knew where she was.

"As far as I can tell, I'm in a hospital.  Apart from that, no idea."  Some nodded like this was to be expected; then one said, "You are in a recovery room.  You had an accident-"

"Uh, no I didn't have an accident ma'am.  It was completely intentional. Some creepy dude hit me on  the head-"

"Yes, yes you were.  But your being there in the first place was a mistake.  You should be back with your family, where you belong.  You're going home."

________________________________

"What do you mean going home?"  Reyna yelled.  "Is this some sort of joke?" 

"No, calm down young lady.  You are scheduled for transport home later this afternoon, provided you behave."

Reyna, about to make a snide remark, shut her mouth.  Going home was something she never immagined doing.  She still thought that it was a cruel joke being played on her, but she decided to wait it out and see if what the lady said was true. 

Four hours later Reyna was in a car driving towards her house.  The recovery room had pronounced her injury free, aside from a headache.  Now that there were actions following the words, she very much believed she was going home. 

Two hours later and Reyna was standing at  the front of her house, staring at the car that was driving away.  She slowly turned around to look up the path on the hill.  On the other side of the hill was her house.  She walked up the hill.

There was her house.   Still little, still inhabited.  The birds on the maple tree ouside the window were singing, just like normal. 

She couldn't help it any longer.  Reyna ran towards the house and yanked open the front door. 

"I'M HOME!!!"  Four pairs of eyes looked up from the little round table.  They just stared at her for a good minute until one broke the silence. 

"Oh my... Reyna."  The brown haired boy jumped out of the chair and picked up Reyna and danced around the room with her until they were both laughing their heads off. 

_____________

note:  not done yet