Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I should be on the office during weekends. But not today. I choose to stay on My Penthouse. My comfort zone. And I know in myself that in this place I can find the break that I need from Rheah’s non-stop invitation. Here I could at least find some silence. Just me in the common room staring on the panoramic view of eastern Chicago, some buildings and the main branch of Chicago River, in a clear morning.

A gentle knock drags my mind away from the view outside. When I look up, Nancy walks in holding a tray. Her hair fixed in a bun, wearing dark blue uniform and white flats, and her eyes gleam just like the morning sunrise.

“Good Morning, Ms. M.” she greets warmly while handing me some hot chocolate.

“Same to you, Nancy and thanks.” I reply back, but not warmly. She nods and put a plate of sunny side-up egg, toast, pancakes and bacons and leaves. Looking at the food in front, it’s tempting me to eat. My, I’m hungry.

While I’m eating, I notice the newspaper on the table. I look to see how the currency going but a picture of a man in suit has got my attention. Dad. It’s for an article about some new achievements and recognition RBI received. Finding myself smiling, I suddenly remember mom’s email last Monday inviting me to dinner. Maybe I can surprise them. I grin like some sort of an idiot and finish my breakfast quickly, I busy myself to something that I can bring them. Well, all of previous thoughts just evaporate in the air.

Traveling from Chicago to Northbrook is a bit long but depends on the traffic. Davis is driving the car while I’m at the back seat. The gap of silence between me and Davis is making me uncomfortable. I cannot think well when I know someone is near me.

“Davis, will you please play some music?” I request.

“Yes, ma’am.” He replies and press some buttons on the car radio.

The music of Titanium Pavane echoes through the car speakers, making me comfortable, it makes me at least forget Davis…it’s just me…thinking things I can think. I stare in the window and the view outside change like a film. And it takes me back to the time when I’m wide-eyed ignorant on these beautiful views, the trees, buildings, houses.it was before. But now, I’m familiar with them and every time I travel this road I remember how…

“Ms. M, were already here.” Davis is tapping my shoulder gently and I realized that I dozed myself to sleep during the travel because of my train of thoughts and the music.

The Mansion is still the same the last time I’m here…white external appearance and clean grass carpet. Many people call it “Northbrook’s Mansion” but for me, I just call it home. Just like an ordinary family, living in an ordinary home.

Mom is so busy cooking in the kitchen that she don’t even see me when I come in. “Hello, mom.” I simply greet her just to distract her from cooking. When she turns, shocked and surprised expression is blending in her old but pretty face. Her short black hair brushed neatly and wearing light make-up,it matches her Mint green dress and flats. She puts down the spoon in her hand and makes her way towards me and pulls me to her arm, hugging me.

“My dear! You’ve come!” she said happily and tightens her arms around me.

“Just decided to pay a visit. Nothing to do today.” It’s because you cancelled it all, M.

“How are you dear?” mom turns back to whatever she do. Mixing some ingredients, I think. But I know, it’s pretty yummy.

“Fine.” I reply. And lie. “Oh, I nearly forgot, I brought some dad’s favorite, special chocolate muffins.” I add to change the direction of the mood.