Please stop laughing at me

I decided that if I avoided them all completely I could go unnoticed. I got quieter and nimbler in the halls as not to pass them. My poems in class got shorter and sweeter. And after a few weeks society forgot about me. But the beast again got hungry as it always does. Blood needed to be shed.

I sat quietly in the back of the room. Like I always do. But once again they found me.

"Looky here. A bunny" Trinity flips my bunny ears on my hat. "And you know what we do with bunnies? We make rabbit stew" she turns to her captain of the football team boyfriend. "Get her"

They grab me and dragged me out of my 1st period class. "Hey let me go!" I wriggle and squirm to try and escape their grasp. Nevaeh and Trinity with a few other girls take me into the girls bathroom while the boyfriends waited outside.

They start laughing at me and calling me names.

"Nerd"

"Dork"

"Ugly"

"Bitch"

"Fat"

"Whore"

"What did I do to you?" I cry at them

"You existed" Trinity flips her hair and looks at Nevaeh

"So why don't you do everyone a favor and kill yourself" Nevaeh looks to Trinity for approval. They laugh together and leave me crying on the ground. Nevaeh gives one last sorrowful look and leaves with Trinity.

I wipe my tears and clean up the blood from where Trinitys shoe collided with my mouth.

I look in the mirror.

"They were right you baboon!" The negative shouts at me

"They're just jealous" the positive side tries to sooth me.

I play with my face. I'm not pretty like they are. I'm ugly.

I run my hand over my ribs. I could barely feel them. You couldn't really see them either. I must be fat.

The negative side had won.

This went on for days. Weeks. Everyday they'd laugh and hit me and call me names. They told me if I told they'd make it so much worse. I don't see how it could get worse but I don't want to push it. Everyday Nevaeh would give me her sorrowful look. But everyday it'd happen all over again.

Until one day as I sat in the back of my language arts class listening to the daily poems. It was Nevaehs turn. She begins her poem shakily

"Shame

There's a girl at school

We teased today

Made jokes and called her names

My friends all laughed

Called it harmless fun

Said it was just a game

But now I'm home

Feeling terrible inside

Long gone that thoughtless grin

How will I face her

Tomorrow at school?

I wish I hadn't joined in."

Trinitys mouth drops. My mouth drops. Nevaeh shuffles past my desk and smiles at me.

"She's teasing you!" Negative screams at me

"Maybe she's trying to be friends" positive says happily.

And the positive won.