Chapter Two

There was no sense in denying that the Potter children were wildly excited about visiting the zoo that afternoon as their smiles never faded for one second, even as they reached the admissions gate

There was no sense in denying that the Potter children were wildly excited about visiting the zoo that afternoon as their smiles never faded for one second, even as they reached the admissions gate. They had witnessed plenty of magical creatures within their upbringing, whether it was in person or through the books kept around the household, but there was something magical witnessing animals that even muggles were permitted to see.

While the children posed no issue of blending in with muggle attire, it was Renata and James that had to ditch their robes in order not to stand out. And when they arrived at the gates to purchase their tickets, Harry took a quick look around and was satisfied that they didn't stand out. He had heard stories from Uncle Sirius and Uncle Remus about wizards and witches attempting to blend in among muggles and failing miserably.

"Look at all these muggles," Harry heard Ilaria whisper under her breath, " I want to touch one!"

"Ilaria," Harry snorted as he turned to his little sister, " they're people just like you and me. They just can't do any magic."

Ilaria didn't appear to care what Harry had to say at the moment as she was already in motion to poke a man's leg that was standing close to them in line. As soon as she did, the man jumped and turned around with an irritated look before he spotted Ilaria grinning up at him. All was forgotten or forgiven in seconds as he didn't have the heart to scold a child for merely brushing up against his leg.

Thank Merlin, he didn't know it was intentional.

"Hmmph," Ilaria said with her head tilted to the side, " I thought they'd be more squishy."

Harry continued to keep his sister in check while James paid for the tickets and Renata carried Monte through the crowds of people until they reached an opened area where she felt safe enough to set him down. Already, Monte was pointing in several directions, telling everyone where he wanted to go first.

The two youngest were already showing off their impatience at having to wait, but Harry couldn't blame them either. The lines were long and he was ready to start exploring too. Suddenly, he felt a hand run over the top of his hair, bringing him to glance up to see Renata gazing down at him.

"I think I've spotted some ice cream over there," she nodded her head in the direction of a van that was covered in sweet decorations, " why don't you head on over with Ilaria and grab something? Bring something back for Monte?"

She held out the money and Harry grinned in response before taking the muggle coins and bills. Ilaria didn't have to hear the instructions of listening to her big brother as she already grabbed his hand, and waited for him to lead the way.

As they arrived at the van, they also had to wait in another line, thankfully it was shorter than the one selling tickets. Off to the side, Harry couldn't help but noticed two boys standing there, ice cream already in their possession. One of them was incredibly scrawny and not to sound mean, but had a face that Harry could only relate to a rat. But perhaps he only looks so small compared to the rather large boy that stood next to him.