Chapter 5: The First Trial

I shook my head and payed full attention to what was going on. Michael was explaining the trial again when panting started to be heard. A ginger man came running it and when he stopped he started mumbling to himself.

"We got a late one," Marshi said.

"And who are you?" Michael asked frustration in both his face and voice. It brought back bittersweet memories.

"Ah... ah hi my name is Colin, I'm the son of Hermes. Which is why I got here so fast."

"Then why were so late Speedy?" I asked. Brandeen gave a small chuckle but everything changed quickly as Jake starting to go on about some Mitch. Though I was way more interested in the boy who was pointed out.

He had longer white hair and was wearing traveling clothes. I also felt the magic he was placing around the arena. Michael must have seen what he was doing so that meant that I was more then right about the loopholes. I glanced around at the weapons and noticed that most of the weapons were heavy. I knew that due to my weakness I would barely be able to hold them, let alone wield one.

It was odd and without reason. Usually there was a dagger or two, but it was all pull arms and huge swords. Well there was the ice blade but knowing me I would end up giving myself frostbite as magic weapons that aren't gifted to me tend to have a mind of their own.

Is this Michael's way of testing me? I could never wield one of those properly. Though maybe it isn't needed. He said no weapons given by the gods. That would mean that my magic was fair, and I don't even need a wand if I kept it simple with basic sorcery.

I couldn't help but let the smile form on my face. This will be fun. I picked up a random big blade and set off to fly. Michael went on about how we needed to defend the human world from the Greek on but then he mentioned the reward.

"There is a reward for winning the Trial of Ares. You get to go see the Oracle and not just that, you get to ask her three questions," Michael explained.

That changed things, I was going to let Brandeen win but I needed the truth. The truth that only the Oracle can give me.

The second Michael started to count people scattered. Me, Brandeen and Jake stood off the side and waited. To I sure no body's surprise Brandeen decided to pick a fight with a black-haired boy who wielded a cleaver.

Between me telekinetically focusing on his weapon out of his hand, how well the ice sword worked for Jake and Brandeen's brute force the guy was easily taken out.

"I didn't see you doing much," Jake said as he looked at me.

"I am the reason the poor boy lost his blade." I then forced my blade into the ground and summoned a spectral bow. The Harpy didn't see the shot coming.

"Where did she get a bow?" The Harpy screeched.

"She is cheating," the boy in gold yelled. Everyone else stopped to turn to me.

"As the Son of Athena said all is fair in war. If you want to disqualify me for using my brain and the gifts I was born with fine but if the harpy can fly then why can't I use my magic."

I stared at Michael as he stared back. After a few seconds of are long distance staring contest a smirk formed on his face.

"She is right and who could take the right of magic away from the Spellthief herself. Now stop standing around and fight!"

And like that the chaos continued. Those remaining started to focus me and the other two but for never fighting beside each other before we were an effective team. We moved in sync with one another. I chose a good partner in Brandeen, with his strength, my magic and both of our brains we could be unstoppable.

Not that it mattered against these newbies. If they were smart, they would have made a pact to end off the trio that is working in sync a lot of them weren't communicating. Marshie was taken out by the bearded man after I downed her. Colin was all too easy to beat, between Jake's masterful use of that sword's freezing ability and a well-placed shot in the leg he couldn't use his normal speedy tactics. Brandeen overpowered Xylo and Inmo took out the remaining person. Inmo looked scared at the situation.

"Inmo wasn't it?" I asked.

"Y—yesss."

"You aren't much of fighter, are you?" he shook his head. "Well I wish that things didn't happen this way." I then raised my bow and shot him in the chest. I unsummoned my bow and turned to the others. We all started to back away from each other. I summon a sword.

We all just waited for a second, waiting for someone to make the first move. Then Michael started yelling.

"Don't tell me that you are about to start holding back now Spellthief."

"I am not that Freay, stop assuming I am. Brandeen and Jake are my friends. And well you are forcing use to fight we will do so with honor and without using loopholes. Or at least too many." I didn't wait to hear a response as I ran towards Jake.

I needed to take him out quickly because that freezing effect could be devastating but he was trained with a dident and was used to having reach. It didn't take long for Brandeen to meet with us and a three-way duel started. The three different types of blades met with each other time and time again.

It was a truly fair fight with no one neither giving up nor teaming.

Jake was the first to fall. We crossed swords and I quickly grabbed the bottom of his grip twisting the sword out of his hand and threw it as I slashed his chest with my own blade.

I was quick but I wasn't quick enough. As I was busy with Jake Brandeen gained the upper hand on me. He stabbed his large blade through my ribcage. I had lost, that much was clear, but I couldn't stop myself from fighting. With the last bit of my might I jabbed my sword into his chest. Then my vison went black.

"You need to listen to me Freya. I don't have much time. You need to trust me and look into your past but under no circumstances should you ask the Oracle. Well she does know all she will not give thing in the way you need them. Talk to Michael, he will understand. The truth will come out eventually, better you tell him then for Ritchie. Follow the path and stand by Bryan and Bradeen. You need to keep each other sane and away from them. I though can only help you so much with out your acceptance. Find the orb," the male voice from my dream said.

Then everything came flooding back.

"Well it looks like we have a tie. Well that is something that we can talk over with me and Kaykrae. Though on to more important matter, most of you were awful. I will see you all at 09:00. You two come with me."

No one got a chance to even say anything as Michael started to walk down to the entrance of the stadium.

"Jake, we will see you later." Then I dragged Brandeen with me to go follow Michael to the principle's office.