Roan's Pledge

The morning light wakes me, it strains my eyes as I open them. I try to remember the night before, but it all seems black and distorted, I can't remember what happened, just bits and pieces come back to me, it doesn't make sense. Although I do recall feeling sick, like I had consumed something I shouldn't have.

I look beside me and see an empty bed, Brianna wasn't here last night, it was only a dream. I sigh with utter disappointment. I wished it were real, I wished she was here with me. Who knows where she is now, or who she is with, she is probably sharing her bed with someone else. Such a succubus, a torturing woman, to pretend to love me and leave me with nothing, not even an explanation. I hate that I love her so much. I am suddenly interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Y-yes?" I struggle to say through strained vocals.

"Roan, it's Mina, I need to get you ready for...your pledge...." She replies almost as if the word pledge tasted foul in her mouth.

"Alright."

She opens the door and walks in carrying formal clothing and things to wash with. She glances at me then looks away, proceeding with the bath maid routine.
"I will get your bath ready now." She says and walks into the bathing room. I can hear her turn on the tap and begin to fill it.

I get myself up and out of bed, feeling dizzy and unbalanced. Something isn't right inside me. I make it to my clothes closet and drape a robe over myself tying up the middle. Mina comes out of the bathing room, I stare at her thinking of her and Brianna together, she once held her, she once kissed her, maybe she was part of it all. Maybe Mina had convinced her to leave me. I glare at her, hate filling my mind.

"Your bath is ready." She says and bows.

"Is it warm?" I snap. She jumps at my sudden outburst.

"Y-yes. Roan."

"Good." I reply and make my way to the bathing room.

Mina turns towards the bedroom door.

"Stop!" I snap again.

She jumps holding her arms to the sides clenching her fists.
"Where do you think you're going? You have a knight to bathe! Get into the bathing room where you belong, bath maid!"

She gasps and looks at me, eyes wide.
"Yes sir."

"NOW!" I demand.

She jumps again and hurries towards the bathing room and I follow. I can hear whimpers coming from her vile mouth as she makes her way to the bathtub. I watch her with hate boiling in my blood. How could she take her from me? How could she convince her to leave me? She shakes as she places the towels on the side of the bathtub. She is scared. And she should be.

"P-please Roan, the water is ready." She says motioning me to get in. I strip down without any care that her eyes see me. She whimpers and turns away. I chuckle and get into the water, letting the warmth relax my muscles.

"Are you settled Roan? I will leave you to.."

"You will stay right where you are!" I shout, she lets out a small yelp.

"Ok." She whispers.

"Come here." I reply lifting a hand to her. She winces and comes towards me tears pouring down her cheeks.

"Roan, are you upset with me?"

"I said come here!"

"Yes sir." She obeys and comes to my side.

"Sit, we have some things to discuss."
She kneels down beside me fiddling with her apron. The fact she won't look me in the eyes tells me she is full of lies and betrayal.