Old Friend

She counted out the money for what must have been the fifth time, each time she went quicker than the last, and each time she got the same amount.

When she finally reached the booth, she dropped the bag with the money on the counter, and the short man running it counted the money as he explained the rules.

"There will be no refunds once the $1,200 entry fee is paid. In two days, the race will start, regardless of weather or accidents. We will take rider's fingerprints and the horse's noseprints on the day of the race. Exchanging riders or horses is forbidden. Sign here to acknowledge the rules, please." The man pushed a paper towards the woman, and she signed her name on it. He looked at the signature when she was done.

Nat Baker.

"Here is your identification card and ID number, B-684. There is also the race commemoration and badge." She took the item off his hands as he took the paper.

"Good luck on the race, ma'am."

She narrowed her eyes at him slightly and turned around, walking away and looking at her badge and number. B-684.

She felt herself hit someone's arm, and she looked up. She had bumped into a rather handsome blond man with green eyes and patches of facial hair along his jawline.

"Sorry. My mistake." She muttered, quickly turning away and continuing to walk. He followed her with his eyes for a second before continuing on his business and signing up for the race as well.

Upon going outside, she looked around at the wide array of tents along the beach.

"One of these is mine...which one..." She said silently to herself, heading towards the tents.

Before she could get too far, there was a large commotion from the building she just exited. She turned to see what was going on, craning her neck to look over the heads of people that had gathered.

The man she had bumped into earlier held another guy to the ground, but only by his hand. The other guy didn't even move his legs to get away. Why?

"Give me the coins you swiped from me! If I'm $20 short, I wouldn't be able to enter the race, now would I? Nyo ho." The man asked the guy being held down.

She kept watching.

The guy handed him the coins, and the man took them and gave them to the manager behind the counter. Two other men came and dragged the thief away. After getting his receipt, the blonde man she ran into earlier turned. They made eye contact again.

She walked away.

"IT'S NOT OVER MAN! Turn around! You think you're so big over $20? Is that stupid ball thing your weapon?" The thief shouted. It looked like the commotion wasn't over. More people began to gather.

"Weeeell?? Go ahead and use it! Kill me with it!" The thief struggled against the two men holding him. "Kill me with it before I kill you!" He grabbed the gun of one of the guards holding him and aimed it. The guards stopped him before he could shoot.

He kept shouting at the blonde, who just stood there, his back to the thief. Then, the gun fell to the ground, and he turned.

"Pick it up. But if you do...then that's a sign. I won't hold back."

Someone pushed through the crowd, demanding to be let to the front to see what was going on. They let him, but he was moving rather slowly. Still, everyone was too focused on the fight starting in front of them to care.

"H-hey, man, you serious? It was just a joke.." The thief stuttered. The blonde didn't let up. His expression was dead serious, and he watched the thief on the ground.