11

Calum

I stood at the doorway, admiring the room. In the corner was her little bed, with a new duvet on covered in fairies. To the side of that was a corkboard, and at the end was her toy basket. Her wardrobe was opposite the bed, and her chest of drawers were the other side of the door, which now had a sign that said 'Alexis'. Her walls had unicorn stickers on, and her fluffy pink beanbag made the final corner look cosy.

She'd love it.

The boys had gone home, and Michael had visited his parents so that we could have some time alone. I'd cooked us some tea, and tried to calm Alexis who was desperate to go upstairs.

"Are you ready to see your room?"

"Yes!"

"Will you keep it clean and tidy?"

"Yes! Come on,"

"Alright, only if you walk upstairs sensibly,"

I took her hand and made sure she got upstairs safely, before walking down to her room. She reached up and opened the door, running inside the room.

"It's pink!"

"Of course," I smiled, sitting in the floor. She sat on her beanbag and looked around, her legs kicking up and down.

"This is the best room ever!"

"I'm glad you like it,"

She ran towards me and hugged me, kissing my cheek.

"Thankyou very much,"

"You're very welcome,"

"Can you play with me for a bit?"

"What do you want to play?"

She dug into her toy box and pulled out a smaller one that was full of dolls. Neatly, she set them across the floor, then started to change their outfits. I took one and put it in a blue dress, similar to hers.

"She is called Margot,"

"That's a pretty name,"

"And this is Taylor,"

"His name is pretty too,"

"Can boys be called pretty?" she said, cocking her head to the side.

"They can be called all the same things that I call you,"

"Oh. That's good,"

For a while we played with the dolls, Alexis making them dance and go shopping. I let her imagination run wild, and went along with it, because it wasn't often that she sat down to play.

"Dad, I really like my room,"

"I'm glad, you'll have to give another big thankyou to Uncle Ash and Uncle Luke next weekend,"

She nodded and hugged me, sitting on my lap.

"Uncle Mikey is my bedroom neighbour,"

"That's right,"

"Then I must say hello,"

She jumped off my lap and ran to his door, thankfully knocking. I caught up as he opened the door letting us both in. He'd got back while we were playing, but didn't disturb us.

"Alexis, it's time to start calming down now,"

"No," she said, starting to jump on the bed. I raised my eyebrows, folding my arms.

"Alexis, start cooling down,"

She carried on bouncing, the instruction going straight through her head.

"Alexis-Rose, stop bouncing,"

As she stopped, I picked her up, putting her on my hip.

"What was that about?"

"I wanted to see Uncle Mikey,"

"Did you not think that perhaps you should've followed my instructions?"

"Oh,"

"Pick a book for me to read,"

"Goodnight Uncle Mikey,"

"Goodnight hun,"

"You're pretty,"

"Thankyou," he chuckled, "get a good sleep so that you can shop tomorrow,"

I sighed at the thought of shopping. She could be a nightmare to control, even though she was a pretty disciplined child.

It overwhelmed her, I thought, and it confused her so she played up a little. Her reaction to not feeling confident was to be overly hyper and confident. It was tough to figure out the world.

In her bedroom, she chose a book, then I sat her in her bed to read.

"Dad," she said, starting to climb out of bed again.

"You need to sleep love,"

"Okay,"

I opened the book, wrapping my arm round her as I read. Her head hit my shoulder and she pointed at the pictures, thankfully beginning to let tiredness take over.

"That's a lion," she said, interrupting my story.

"We don't speak over people love,"

"Okay,"

"What do you say?"

"Sorry,"

I finished the book and kissed her goodnight, helping her get tucked in. All of her stuffed animals got put next to her, and I put on her night light.

"Goodnight dad, I love you a lot,"

"I love you too,"

"And my bear loves you,"

"I love them too. Go to sleep now,"

She nodded and curled up in the covers, blowing me a kiss. Quickly, I wished Michael goodnight and got in the shower.

It had ended up being just as exhausting as work, which wasn't usually how weekends were.

As soon as my head hit my pillow, I fell asleep.

In the morning, I felt someone shake me awake. Assuming it was Alexis, I went to wrap my arm around her, but when Michael snorted my eyes opened.

"You're not my kid," I mumbled, a smile coming onto his face.

"I'm not, that's right,"

"Is she okay?"

"Yeah, she's supposed to be watching tv but she's doing other stuff too,"

"Why did you wake me up?"

"You need to sleep tonight, and take her out shopping,"

"She gets too excited while shopping,"

"She loved her dresses Cal, that's all. Attracts the boys,"

"She isn't getting a boyfriend until she is 18,"

"You met Rose when you were 16,"

"Shush,"

"Anyway, I think she wants cuddles,"

"But I want cuddles,"

He grinned and hugged me, squeezing me tightly.

"Good enough?"

"I can't breathe,"

"The best hugs,"

I sighed, patting his back, but then just accepting his hold. I think he knew I needed it. 

"Mike, I know I've said it, but thats for giving us a safe space to stay. You've helped me tremendously for as long as I can remember, and I want to repay you,"

"You repay me by letting me in yours and Alexis' lives. I feel blessed to have you both,"