Chapter Two

"English bars are so formal," Dr Greymatter remarked as he sipped his beer. "The ones in America are wild."

"Pardon us for owning a well-maintained sense of dignity." Jennifer grinned. "And we call it a pub around here."

It was almost midnight and the pub was empty, but for them and a bartender. The bartender said to them, "The two of you look like–"

"Doctors?" Greymatter replied. "It's pretty obvious, really. I mean, I have a coat and a stethoscope."

"Uh"–the bartender smiled awkwardly–"that's an iPod."

"Damn it!" Greymatter grumbled, while Jennifer nearly choked on her drink laughing.

"I'm Owen," said the bartender. "Owen Richardson."

"I'm Jennifer Williams, and he's George Greymatter."

"Pleased to meet you, Owen." Greymatter smiled. "I fancy English pubs. They're so dignified."

"Sorry to break it to you guys," Owen said apologetically, "but the place is closing for tonight. I do hope I'll see you lovebirds again, though."

"We– we're just friends." Jennifer frowned.

"That's what they all say." Owen chuckled.

***

The following night, Greymatter and Jennifer visited the pub once again. "Hello, lovebirds!" Owen smiled warmly.

"For the last time-" Greymatter began, but Jennifer motioned for him to quieten down.

"So let's talk about you, Owen." Jennifer smiled evilly. "Are you single?"

"Happily divorced." Owen shrugged, a small smile tugging at his lips.

"Ouch. Would it be okay if we went out on a date?" Jennifer replied. "I'm sorry I was being mean to you..."

"Never mind that," Owen said. "And yes, I'd love to go out with you. You're hot, by the way."

Greymatter raised a brow. He glanced at the nurse. She was certainly pretty, with her dark face and chiselled features, but she was nothing compared to...

He sighed. Vanessa's a thing of the past.

Jennifer laughed some more at the bartender's wisecracks, while Greymatter sipped away at his beer, reminiscing the good old days.

***

At the hospital the next day, a young woman entered Greymatter's office. "Hey, doc," she said. "I think I have a fever."

"Hmm...let's check your temperature." Greymatter gave her a thermometer.

 When he saw the reading, he said, "Yeah, you're a hot girl."

"Excuse me?" she exclaimed.

"What I'm trying to say is that your body temperature is high...but yeah, that works both ways." He grinned.

"Once again, excuse me?"

"Lower your voice already; this is a home of the well-orderly."

"You don't seem very well-orderly, do you?"

Just then, the door opened. "Ah, Mr Brown," Greymatter said, "my favourite patient."

"Good morning, Doctor." Mr Brown smiled. "Is everything alright? I heard someone yell..."

"All is well, Mr Brown. This young lady here is just being a tad bit difficult."

Mr Brown turned to the woman. "Dr Greymatter may be a little...unorthodox in his ways, but I can assure you that he is a very experienced practitioner."

"Mm-hmm," the woman mumbled. "I'm sorry, Doctor. I'll get going now."

In the evening, Greymatter finally spotted his friend. "Where on earth were you, Jennifer? I hadn't seen you all day."

"I've been having a hectic day... Hey, do you have plans tonight?"

"I don't recall making any plans."

"That's great, actually. I've been wanting to invite you home for dinner."

"Why not tonight?" Greymatter grinned.

***

As she was brushing her caramel brown hair, Jennifer noticed the doctor staring intently at the telly.

"Is something wrong?" She had a feeling something was troubling her friend. Last night, at the pub, the doctor had been unusually silent and rather pensive.

When Greymatter didn't reply, Jennifer frowned. Something's wrong, for sure.

He was watching the news on BBC. It was an item about a New York detective who had gone rogue. She glanced at the headline.

WANTED FUGITIVE, JONATHAN LUKEWARM STILL ABSCONDING.

She glanced at the detective's photograph. The man was young, probably in his late twenties. But there was something about the young fugitive, something distinctly familiar...

"The resemblance is uncanny," she muttered, and had a swift moment of self-realization. "Wait a minute," she said, pointing at Dr Greymatter. "You're Jonathan Lukewarm."

"My," he laughed uncomfortably, "We're finally making progress!"