Chapter 24: Maelstrom

"Match one of the preliminaries, Naruto Uzumaki against Teren Yamikaze." A jonin said, appearing in the middle of the arena that stood in the large tower. Said jonin had dark hair and eyes, with large, dark bags under his eyes. He wore a standard Konoha-jonin outfit, a long sleeved blue shirt with a flack jacket, and blue pants, he also had a bandana forehead protector and a katana with a square guard on his back.

Teren waited impatiently for Naruto to walk down the stairs, the jonin had a small coughing fit. Naruto finally made it down and the jonin stopped long enough to jump away and yell "Begin" before the coughing continued.

Teren sped at Naruto, green energy forming a dagger in either of his hands as he began to attack with quick, precise slashes that aimed to make Naruto's arms and legs useless.

Naruto managed to dodge all of the slashes by using a simple kawarimi, leaving Teren's blades to utterly annihilate a log.

Naruto drew a kunai in either hand and channeled wind chakra into them. He and Teren met in a flurry of sparks and a large gust of wind. The two exchanged a flurry of slashes -each bouncing off of one of the other's blades- before jumping back to catch their breath.

'He's not as strong as he was in the forest.' Naruto realised as he caught his breath, 'That green suit must give him some sort of power up'

'This guy's still holding back, maybe I should call on Fujin?' Teren was debating his plan when he was forced to duck, a sweeping kick caused a burst of wind where his head was miliseconds before.

"Fujin!" Teren yelled, his pendant let loose a blinding green light. When the light subsided he was in his traditional green ninja suit.

"Byakugan!" Naruto shouted, the veins around his eyes bulged and his eyes became pure white.

The two met in the middle of the arena in another flurry of slashes, this time Teren came out on top, knicking Naruto's cheek and then kicking the blond away.

"Fuuton: Goukuuhou!" Teren expelled a large burst of wind that slammed into Naruto's fleeting form and expelled him at even greater speeds. The God-Runner followed up with a rush, appearing behind Naruto with a quick Shunshin.

Naruto caught the movement with his Byakugan however, and before Teren could impale him with a knife the blond formed a cross with two fingers on either hand, "Taijuu Kage Bunshin!" He shouted, forming a hundred clones, one of which appeared directly in between Teren and he and Naruto used him as a bounce board, shooting the clone onto the blade while he rolled away.

"Boss is heartless!" One of the clones yelled.

"Yea, he's just using us as fodder." Another shouted.

"STOP ARGUING AND I'LL GET EACH OF YOU ICHIRAKU RAMEN!" The real Naruto shouted. Each clone snapped to attention, silently narrowing their gazes onto Teren.

'Crap.' The runner thought as he saw all ninety-nine clones' leg muscles tense up at once. He was suddenly slammed into with all the subtlety of a freight engine. His ribs cracking from the force of the blond's punch.

"Get 'im!" Naruto yelled as he unburied his fist from Teren's stomach. Every clone jumped upwards and channeled chakra to their fists, flying towards Teren with arms cocked back.

"Fuuton: Fuujinheki!" Teren shouted, creating four walls of pressurised air that formed a pyramid around him and caused all the clones to become smoke as they touched it.

Naruto managed to slip away from the wall before it formed. Naruto looked towards Teren and he caught his breath. The ninja he was fighting had somehow grown to nearly ten feet, and looked totally different. He was now a black color with green eyes and had emerald green armor on his forearms, torso, and legs. He also had a foot long black horn on his head and a white scarf around his neck.