Nik

"Hey, sweetheart, could you run by the store and pick up some eggs and bread

"Hey, sweetheart, could you run by the store and pick up some eggs and bread." My dad asked, now standing in my room.

"Yeah, sure." I smiled as I fixed my hair.

"Here, some money." He reached for his wallet, but before I could even take the money, my phone rang.

Jeff.

"Are you okay?"

"Uh, yes." I looked down at my phone." I just really gotta take this." I snatched the money from his hand and rushed him out of my room.

"Hello?" Jeff's smooth voice echoed through my room. "I thought you weren't going to pick up for a second." He laughed.

"Sorry, I was just getting ready." I chewed on my lip, something I did when I was nervous. "But what can I help you with?"

"Would you come to mine after school? I know It's not your or Clay's day, but I just really needed some help."

Some part of me hoped that he was calling to hang out or just talk like we used to.

"Yeah." I sighed. "Is five okay?" I notice my brother pacing back and forth.

"Perfect, Nik, have a nice day."

I swear my heart stop. He just called me Nik.

"Not that I want to be selfish or anything, but I was kinda waiting for you to be done, so I can talk about what's going on, but you look rough."

"He just called me Nik." He stopped pacing. "He hasn't called me that since the accident."

"That's good, right?"

"I- um." I grabbed my bag from my chair. "How about enough about me."

He looked confused but didn't question it. "Okay."

"So, who's our next victim?" Clay just glared at me. "Sorry."

" I haven't got that far yet." He looked miserable. "But once I do, I'll let you know."

"You're the best." I kissed his cheek before running down the stairs.

"Hey, young lady." My mom called out. "Family breakfast." She pointed to the food on the table.

"Sorry." I sent her an apologetic smile before running out the door. "Hey, T"

"Hey, Nik." Tony smiled at me from the drive side.

"Thanks for picking me up."

"Anything for you."