8

The next morning, I was asked to present myself in the throne room after breakfast. Hurriedly getting ready, I was putting on boots when the door slammed open.
I groaned, as Amber screeched on seeing my choice of attire.
"What in the blazes are you wearing?" She yelled, and proceeded to pick out a plain brown dress from the few dresses she had lent me.
The dresses were a very tight fit, since Amber had a slender silhouette, but she forced me to wear it, insisting that I had to get used to the dress code in Atlantika.
Shimmying into the dress, I scarfed down the porridge and berries she had brought with her, and ran to the throne room.
As the majestic gold doors opened, I came face-to-face with a pacing Uncle Jared in the empty throne room.
"Ana, sweetie, how are you now?" He asked as he pulled me into a hug.
"I'm better now." I said, as he made me sit on a plush chair next to the throne.
"Okay, Diana. To see how many powers you possess, you will have to pass a small test." He began.
"What do I have to do?"
"Just close your eyes, imagine a candle, and concentrate on its flame." He said, and motioned door me to do so.
Closing my eyes, an image of a candle immediately popped up into my mind. Concentrating on the flame, I felt a jolt go up my spine.
My hands tingled, and a strange heat coursed through them.
"Open your eyes, Diana." I heard Uncle Jared say.
Opening my eyes, I gasped.
A white glow had enveloped my hands, as tendrils of brown, orange, blue and white wrap around from the bottom of my forearms, all the way up to the fingertips. A different energy coursed through my veins, and as I looked up to Uncle Jared, he had tears in his eyes.
"My dear, you have one of the most powerful combinations of powers seen yet." He said, as the glow in my hand disappeared.
"What?"
"Your powers are air, water, fire and earth. The oldest yet most powerful combination seen. Your magic is still weak, but we need to work on it so that you can reach your maximum potential." He said.
Holy smokes. I had powers. I possessed magic!!
"We'll begin later this week, so take some rest, sweetie, and oh, before I forget, Amber wanted to take you out to the garden, so hurry there before she blows a gasket." He told me, winking as I grinned and left the room.
Making my way to the garden as the guards walked ahead of me, I couldn't help but think how much my life had changed since I came here.
Not a day went by that I didn't think of Maya, but I realised that I was happier here than I ever was back in London. My life had taken a complete three-sixty, and I was now aware of the fact that magic did exist. I needed time to process this, I needed time to grasp everything.
I walked on the garden pathways, waiting for Amber as I thought about it all. The cool breeze and faint scent of lavender filled the air, the only sound heard were my feet hitting the cobblestones. I relaxed as I sat on the bench, taking in a deep breath.
Hearing footsteps, I said, "You've finally decided to grace me with your presence, Ammie?"
"Miss, I assure you I am not Ammie."
I quickly looked up, only to find Alex with a girl on his arm. He looked at me with cold grey eyes, which filled with warmth every time he looked at the beautiful girl. She had long blonde hair, icy blue eyes, and a body I envied.
"Oh Alex. Have you seen Ammie?" I asked him.
"Miss, who are you?"
My eyes widened in shock.
Was I invisible?
"Alex?"
"It's Prince Alexander to you." They both replied.
"Darling," the blonde purred, "who is this girl?"
"She's just Amber's friend, princess. You know how she likes to pick up strays, remember?" He told her, as he smirked.
Tears filled my eyes as I felt my heart shatter into a million pieces.
Princess. He called her princess. He called me a stray. He claims to not know me.
"I see. I apologise, Your Highness, for wasting your time." I said, trying to level my voice, even though I was breaking inside.
"Run along, peasant." She said, and turned to him.
As I turned around to see them one last time, my heart broke even more.
I ran inside, unbothered about the tears running down my face, as I crashed into a warm body.
"Ana? Sweetie, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" I recognised the voice as that of Uncle Jared's.
"N-nothing. P-please excuse m-me for now." I muttered as I ran to my room and slammed on the bed, crying out all my pain and hurt.