6

She stumbled out of the zoo and straight to the police.

"How can I help you?" the officer asked without looking up from their paper.

"My name's Casey Cooke and I'd like to speak to someone please,"

He looked up from his papers in shock, "Oh my god," he whispered, "come right this way,"

He lead her to a room where she was speaking to an officer. A woman with dark hair and large brown eyes.

"I'd like to make a public statement please,"

"We'll get to that in due time but first we have to call your uncle,"

"No!" she put her hand on the woman's, "You can call anyone just not my Uncle," the woman's brow furrowed and she sat down.

"My Uncle abused me from a young age. Sexually. I ran away from home,"

"He said you'd been kidnapped... we've allready-"

"He was lying. Who is it you think kidnapped me exactly?"

"I can't give you that information,"

"I can tell you if you're right or if you're wrong, officer. I have the right to know,"

The woman sighed, "we had an anonymous tip. We were given the name Kevin Wendell Crumb? DID patient?"

"Kevin?!" she asked disgusted, "No, it wasn't Kevin! He helped me when I ran away from home! One of the personalities is... was my boyfriend. We went our separate ways today. He said that his world is too... unpredictable. That it wouldn't be fair on me. And so, he left, and I came here," she ran her fingers around the watch's outline and noticed that it was smashed.

"If it wasn't Kevin, who was it?"

"Nobody! I'm telling you, I left. I couldn't handle it any more. Living in constant fear of my Uncle. It's not healthy."

3 weeks later, Casey was on television having an interview. She wouldn't have agreed, but she didn't know how else she could reach him. 

"What can you tell me about Kevin?"

"If I had to describe him with one word... perfection," she wiped a tear away.

"But, nobody is perfect," she said, as if it was fact.

"He is." she snapped.

"What makes him perfect? Big muscles?" she asked with a laugh. Casey could see that she thought this was some teenage crush.

"No. His body has nothing to do with it. He's kind. Unbelievably kind, he wouldn't hurt a fly. He works at a zoo for christ sake!" she showed her the label on his jacket. She had picked it up before leaving and insisted on wearing it as often as she could, "he's such a gentle soul. I've never met anyone like him before,"

"Someone with DID?"

"Is that all you people see? Are you that blind?!" Casey was furious, "his DID doesn't make him who he is! He does! You people make me sick. Judging DID patients out of ignorance. Because you don't understand. Kevin Crumb is the greatest person I've ever met. And every personality in his body are just as amazing. It's people like you that cause DID patients to hide away! To live in fear!" she turned to face the camera, "Kevin Crumb is innocent. I ran away because I lived in an abusive household. Just as Kevin did. If any of you are watching this, you're extraordinary and you don't need to hide!"

"Okay we're going to end this here-"

"No. I have a message first. If you're watching this I want you to know that I'm going to find you, Kevin. I need you. I need Hedwig's smile. Exetera," she laughed as her eyes filled with tears, "I need Patricia's random facts, Barry's designs. And I need Dennis. I need him. It's okay to be afraid... but you are not alone anymore," she said, "thank you for having me," she said, quickly as the tears started to fall and she left. 

Dennis took in a deep breath. He was calm. 

"As you are all aware, my name is Dr. Ellie Staple."

"Let's skip past the formalities. Why are we here?"

"You three have something in common. You think you're super heroes."

"I'm sorry? I think nothing of the sort,"

"What about the Beast?"

"I'm trying my best to... suppress him. He's too-"

"powerful?"

"Dangerous. He almost killed someone... Someone I care very deeply for,"

"Ah. Would this be who you're referring to?" she turned a screen round to face him and showed the interview. 

"Casey..." he whispered. The tears began almost instantly, from shock more than anything. Casey was a young girl. He thought she'd forget him sooner.

"If you don't do as we say, Dennis, the woods you visited that day... she'll be buried there," he stood up, threateningly, only stopped by the chains keeping him safely secured to the floor. 

"Threaten he again, and you will be."

"You're in no position to be making threats Dennis. One push of a button and another personality will take the light. I literally have you under lock and key"

Another tear rolled down his cheek, "leave her out of this. I'll do as you say. I'll do anything I can. Just don't hurt Casey,"

"You can start by sitting down," he did as he was told. He was a prisoner and it was exactly what he deserved. This is what he did to Casey.

While she discussed with the man who bested the beast, he thought about Casey. He tried so hard to protect her, almost killing himself in the process. Heartbreak is difficult to deal with. But it's even harder when you have an upset child to deal with too. In his effort to protect Casey from the beast, he discovered that maybe the only way he could protect her was by unlocking the Beast's full potential. It would be difficult, not to mention risky. But if it kept Casey safe, it was a risk that he had to take.