Chapter 11: Bituin

The sun was setting, and Mauricio was impatiently waiting for Gabriel and his mermaid to return.

"Bringing one of these golden mermaids home will make us rich and one of the most famous explorers in the world," Mauricio said. The Spaniard couldn't care less of his declarations for fame and fortune. It was laughable, the Spaniard thought. He could see it all now - Mauricio, the famous explorer, and his little mermaid!

From the brush, Bituin stepped out. Standing by in the shadows were Sambaguita and Diwata.Mauricio was speechless as she walked toward the two Spaniards. He so desperately wanted to be chosen, the way Gabriel was accepted, so he stepped in front of the other Spaniard and looked right into Bituin's eyes. Bituin let him saunter toward her, but she went right for the other Spaniard. She smiled as she passed Mauricio, who huffed in frustration. She went right up to the Spaniard and kissed him on the lips. Mauricio's shipmate was quickly embarrassed and taken aback by her.

Bituin softly took the Spaniard's hand and began to lead him off the beach. Mauricio shook his head in disbelief, and he grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her gold bracelet off. His actions didn't intimidate her the way he wanted. Instead, she covered her mouth and laughed a little. She was amused by his childish behavior – so common in men. She watched him hold up her bracelet to the light for an even thorough examination.

"I want you, mermaid," he demanded.

He looked long and hard at Bituin, who exchanged zero warmth. Angering Mauricio further, he grabbed Bituin and pulled her closer to him while ripping her hand away from the Spaniard.

The Spaniard dutifully backed away so Mauricio could take her freely. He was a gentleman and didn't want to see a woman ever beaten. The voyage had hardened the men, but a few remained unscathed of losing their humanity.

"Sir," he pleaded. "She's all yours."

"You're a fool. I'm not going to hurt her. A mermaid in Spain is worth more than all the gold you can imagine."

Mauricio swiped his clunky fist across the Spaniard's jaw, and he toppled to the sand. Bituin stared at Mauricio unaffected by his grasp though she couldn't stand his odor, which was a mix of alcohol and piss. The man in the sand stayed away, while Mauricio set his gaze back on Bituin's glistening skin. He took two fingers and rubbed her shoulder. His smirk turned sour as the flakes of gold dust flew off his finger.

"Where is your gold, mermaid?" he asked her.

Bituin didn't respond. 

She was trained to just smile, and so she did. He interpreted her seductive smile as her mocking him. It angered him. She liked to see him get angry and he could see that. He pushed her to the ground, and she landed near the Spaniard. On the beach, the Spaniard's first instinct was to protect her, but he knew it would be a mistake. The Spaniard cowardly crawled away from Bituin as she scrambled to get her footing.

From the brush, Sambaguita nearly kept out, but Diwata held her shoulders down. They both impatiently observed Mauricio's ill-tempered actions.

Mauricio dropped down on top of Bituin in an attempt to make her feel small.

"I want to know where the gold is," he demanded. "Gold!" He yelled at her.

She smiled at him. Aggressive men, no matter how big they were, were foolish and clumsy. He hit women before, but no one as beautiful as her. She tried to roll away from him, but he stopped her. Mauricio leaned in, and he was face to face with Bituin.

"Gold!" he screamed. "Where is it? Where do I find it?" He began to shake her. No matter how hard he shook, he pushed her shoulders into the ground, she gave no indication of any pain or fear.

The stench of his breath made her sick, so she closed her eyes and turned her head away for fresh air. In a flash of a moment, his body laid lifeless on top of her. The weight of him made it difficult for her to breathe. When she opened her eyes, Sambaguita and Diwata pulled him off, and she stood up. Mauricio laid out like a beached whale. Bituin stood up to see the Spaniard lying on the ground a few yards out - dead as well. His blood poured from the side of his body.

The women stood on the beach, satisfied at the site of their kills. Though the feeling of success was short-lived when Tala and Gabriel walked out of the brush. They were smiling at each other until they saw the three women. They immediately stopped walking as it took a moment for everyone to process what was happening. As soon as Tala met her mother's gaze, Tala ran to her to explain herself. Sambaguita had little patience, and when Tala reached her, Sambaguita slapped her so hard that Tala fell to the ground.

Gabriel rushed to his shipmates that lay dead on the ground. The blood-stained beach horrified him.

"Gabriel," Tala cried out. "Go!"

He immediately ran into the jungle.

"Bituin, go after him!" Diwata ordered. She swiftly obeyed.

Sambaguita raised her hand at Tala once more, but Diwata held her back from beating her daughter.

"Why is he still alive," Sambiguita screamed at Tala.

"Stop. I couldn't kill him." Tala cried.

"You are a fool! You've risked all of our lives." Sambaguita screamed at her. "These men are different from us. Look at their clothing. And you allowed yourself to be outnumbered by those men." Her voice was going in and out of yelling. "Why do you want to hurt our family!"

Tala broke out it to tears.

"Why did you do this? Why, Tala?"

"Because of what you said!" Before Tala could finish her sentence, Sambaguita swiftly slapped her across her face. Diwata held her back.

"I never said to lie, hide, or cheat from your duties!"

"Enough!" Diwata yelled above her. "We have to bring her to Datu Dalisay, and she will decide," Diwata ordered. Tala felt lucky in Diwata's presence. She was unmistakably angry, but at least she had some self-control.

Sambaguita turned and headed back to the tribe. Tala ran after her, but her mother would keep on without looking at her.