Waffle House Reunion

"Seriously, they're late again," I groaned as I looked down at my watch. Every year, I'm the only one on time. Six years after graduating and they still haven't learned how to be punctual.

"Paige!" I looked at the figure entering the door and saw Layla coming towards me, her shoulder-length hair flying behind her due to the wind. "Sorry I'm late; tons of traffic," she leaned over breathing hard.

"Mhm," I squinted my eyes at her and watched the highway in front.

"Where is everyone?" Layla suddenly looked around and realized she was the only one here of the gang besides the two of us.

"Well, I know Skye stopped to pick up Bentley from the airport, they'll probably be here soon." I glanced at my watch again and saw that it was almost ten minutes after we were all supposed to be there."Ugh," I groaned again, glancing around the quickly filling restaurant. "The good booths are gonna be taken up if-"

Suddenly, my eyes were covered by someone's hands but I immediately recognized the voice. "Guess who?" I could hear a smile forming in her voice.

"Let me guess...Skye!" I took her hands off and gave her the biggest hug. I hadn't seen her in what felt like forever. "Where's Bentley?"

"He's parking the car." she smiled and I saw the glow lighting up her face like whenever she thought of him. Anyone could tell that she was happy with him.

"So how's it been?" I winked at her and she smiled in return but looked sort of sad as if it were bittersweet.

"What's the matter?" I asked, worried he'd broken her heart. I was already cracking my knuckles and preparing to go crazy girl on him.

"Bentley and I have been together for nearly 10 years and we've hardly ever discussed the possibility of getting married. What if he's comfortable like this and never wants to marry me?" she looked more and more worried every word she took and glanced over to him as he approached the three of us. She quickly wiped off her sad expression and smiled sweetly at her boyfriend.

"It'll be okay," I gave her a quick hug and then smiled at Bentley as he took his place in our group huddle..

"I'm going to look for a booth, so y'all can wait here," I said and walked away with Layla trailing beside me.

"So....?" I looked at her, eyebrows raised.

"What?" she watched the cooks behind the counter distractedly.

"What's up with you and Jude? Last I heard, which was six months ago, y'all were taking a break. Did y'all ever get back together?"

She turned around and looked at me, looking desperately tired. "No, Paige, we haven't gotten back together since. I love him so much but it feels like he doesn't love me enough to try to work out our differences."

I gave her a hug before I heard the door chime and turned to see if it was anyone else from the gang.

I turned around and saw Aliyah and Jameson walk in. Then I noticed Aliyah's sizably bigger stomach, even though the rest of her was still tiny. One of her hands rested on her stomach. When Jameson tried to feel her belly, she slapped his hand away and I couldn't help but laugh; I guess some things never change.

"Are you...?" I pointed to her stomach and she grinned happily.

"Yes, we are!"

"Congratulations! That's amazing!" I smiled and Layla looked like she was about to shed some tears.

"Do you know the gender?" Layla asked and the two exchanged a look before shaking their heads.

"Not quite yet but we'll be happy with whatever the babies are," she smiled at Jameson and he looked like he was about to cry from happiness. She slapped him again and told him to quit being a ninny.