night terrors

Night terrors are very different then nightmares. So much on a higher level then you'll ever imagine.

Sometimes you remember them and sometimes you don't sometimes you wake up in a different place then where you fell asleep.

Terror so real your loved one says you act it out. Scary thought isn't it?

To know such terror in your sleep that your scared to go to sleep.

Think for a minute of nightmare on elm street. Then you know some what understand about night terrors and what we go through.

Let me explain one that I do remember. Koda my service dog and best friend.

 Koda my service dog and best friend

Well we were walking one day. For some odd reason I had this bad feeling while we we're walking.

I knew it was close to dark outside. But Koda didn't sense anything yet so I thought that was a good thing and we were safe for now.

Not even five minutes later I don't knock down to the ground by a dog. When I look around me there were alot of different dogs around me.

Koda took his stance in front of me and bared his teeth.

The next I knew the lease was gone from my hand and I looked at koda was fighting with the dogs.

Then I saw koda's head ripped off his body. I kept screaming that this can't be real, please don't let it be real.

Then I felt licking on my face. I opened my eyes and there standing above me was koda waking me up.

I grabbed him as tight as I could not letting go until I stopped crying.

Sleep terrors (night terrors)

Overview

Sleep terrors are episodes of screaming, intense fear and flailing while still asleep. Also known as night terrors, sleep terrors often are paired with sleepwalking. Like sleepwalking, sleep terrors are considered a parasomnia - an undesired occurrence during sleep. A sleep terror episode usually lasts from seconds to a few minutes, but episodes may last longer.

Sleep terrors affect almost 40 percent of children and a much smaller percentage of adults. However frightening, sleep terrors aren't usually a cause for concern. Most children outgrow sleep terrors by their teenage years.

Sleep terrors may require treatment if they cause problems getting enough sleep or they pose a safety risk.

Symptoms

Sleep terrors differ from nightmares. The dreamer of a nightmare wakes up from the dream and may remember details, but a person who has a sleep terror episode remains asleep. Children usually don't remember anything about their sleep terrors in the morning. Adults may recall a dream fragment they had during the sleep terrors.

Sleep terrors generally occur in the first third to first half of the night, and rarely during naps. A sleep terror may lead to sleepwalking.

During a sleep terror episode, a person may:

Begin with a frightening scream or shout

Sit up in bed and appear frightened

Stare wide-eyed

Sweat, breathe heavily, and have a racing pulse, flushed face and dilated pupils

Kick and thrash

Be hard to awaken, and be confused if awakened

Be inconsolable

Have no or little memory of the event the next morning

Possibly, get out of bed and run around the house or have aggressive behavior if blocked or restrained

When to see a doctor

Occasional sleep terrors aren't usually a cause for concern. If your child has sleep terrors, you can simply mention them at a routine well-child exam. However, consult your doctor if sleep terrors:

Become more frequent

Routinely disrupt the sleep of the person with sleep terrors or other family members

Lead to safety concerns or injury

Result in daytime symptoms of excessive sleepiness or problems functioning