Epilogue

It’d been eight months since high school graduation, aka the day my parents had found out I’d managed to be in a healthy romantic relationship for nearly a year. They hadn’t liked that, but I couldn’t care less. I still remembered my father’s threatening eyes as he reprimanded me and reminded me of what had happened with Silas. 

The best decision I’d ever made was choosing UCLA over staying local and attending the University of Houston like my parents had hoped. It was made even better by the fact that Elliott had chosen to attend Stanford.

“Wake up! You have to get out!” My roommate’s footsteps echoed downstairs as I flipped onto my stomach and pinched Elliott on the arm. His eyes gradually came open as he sat up in the bed. 

“I’m up, I’m up,” he grumbled. He slid out of the bed and did a quick stretch before he pulled open one of my drawers and took out a fresh tee shirt and sweatpants. “Why even bother to sneak me in and keep my clothes here if you don’t secretly want me to stay over here when I visit?” He smirked as he pulled on a new shirt and zipped up the sweater.

I flipped him the bird with a sweet smile. “After that night, you didn’t want to stop coming over.” I followed him to the window. He turned around to face me and pulled me close.

“Right,” he laughed as he bent down to kiss me. “How’s the panic attacks? Better?” He asked. I nodded.

“Yeah, Theresa says that I just have to manage my triggers so no more boxing and all that, but I doubt I’ll miss it,” I joked.

“Are you ever going to tell your parents you’re seeing a therapist or is that still a no? ” Elliott stalled. I scoffed at the thought. 

“Are you ever going to see your father?” I replied.

“That’s different. He moved away. Besides, just because he’s seeking help and my mother is helping him doesn’t mean I have to forgive him.” Elliott said. “I don’t get it.”

“It takes time,” I whispered.

“He’s not going to change,” Elliott laughed but I saw through it. I placed another soft kiss on his lips and whispered another, “I know.”

“Seriously though, you’ve got to get out. You know how Maya gets when you've been here longer than a week. I have class in an hour and you have that game to get to with Dean. I'll meet you there later.” I pushed open the window and guided him out. We shared another kiss goodbye before I watched Elliott disappear into the sunrise.

As I dressed for the day, placing on a sundress and slinging on my backpack, I took a hard look at myself in the mirror and the visible scars I no longer bothered to hide.

I’d been the knight and slain the monster, I’d stolen the crown for myself, and with all of that, I’d managed to get the fantasy and the fairytale.