Chapter 22

I lay slumped in the chair. My head feels too heavy to be my own. I try to lift it but it just falls back down. Am I dead? But if I'm dead why do I still feel pain. 

I hear the knife picked off of the ground. "Mama I don't want to do it." A soft voice whisper in a hoarse voice. I hear a slap.

"You do as I say. Right now there is an empty vessel for you to occupy, take it." I raise my head. I look around the hazy dim room. It doesn't look like the room where I'm tied, but it is. Just foggy and more gray. I also notice how there is no rope around me anymore. I hesitantly stand up. Suddenly I feel eyes watching me. I quickly whip to the side to see both girls. "Sit down." Myrna commands me. Her voice is rough like sand paper.

I don't listen which causes her to take a step forward. "Where am I?" Her glare turns into a twisted smile.

"You’re in the veil." I let this sink in. I finally notice the sticky feeling on my stomach. I reach my fingers down to touch the red blood that stains my shirt. With shaky fingers I raise them in front of my face. This can't be real.

"I'm dead?" I whisper, my voice hoarse.

"No." The daughter quickly says.

"You might as well be, you’re never getting your body back." Oddly enough the stab doesn't hurt. In fact it doesn't even seem real. I lift up my shirt and suddenly feel sick. It is very much real.

"It's time you get what you deserve. Everyone deserves!" I take a step back. I turn back towards the chair and stop dead in my tracks. My unconscious dying body lays limp. It's almost see through like it’s not really here. 

"Mama I don't want to kill those people." The daughter gets on her knees and begins to sob. 

"What do you mean? You wanted revenge!"

"At first, but Mama I'm sick of it. I just want to be done. I want to be set free." She grabs onto her mother’s bloody night gown. She shoves her off. 

"Listen here. This is the only way out for you. You’re trapped because of the curse and you must do as I say. Do not be selfish. Do you hear me?" I begin to shake uncontrollably as the daughter nods her head in agreement.

"She's lying." Myrna whips her head to me.

"Quiet girl." 

"You don't have to do this. You can break the curse, just like my mother did." She looks up at her mom to confirm what I said. She shakes her head.

"She feeds you lies. She's trying to take back the body that was stolen from you." Tears begin to prick my eyes.

"Please. Don’t listen to her." But it's too late. Her mind is set. She stands up and begins to walk over to my body. “Please." I run up to her and grab onto her arm. I feel Myrna's icy grip as she rips me away. She grabs onto my shoulders and shakes me. I see the paleness of her eyes and smell earth on her.

"Don't you dare touch my daughter!" She hollows. I begin to cry. I can’t control the tears. Her daughter sits down on my body and I watch as she dissolves into it.

"No." I sob. All those people are going to die. She's going to pretend to me so she can get to them. And there is absolutely noting I can do. "No." I say once more.

Suddenly I don't feel Myrna's grip on my shoulders. I look away from her daughter as I hear an ear splitting scream. The daughter quickly stands up. "Mama?" She asks. I search the room but see nothing.

I hear the scream again, but it's more of a war cry this time. I run out of the dining room and into the entrance with the grand stairs. I see Myrna begin dragged up the stairs as she struggles. She suddenly breaks free and turns around on her attacker. In one glimpse I catch who it is. I've seen him in pictures.