16. Things Escalate

I pace back and forth in my bedroom in a frenzy. I am strangely excited and it isn't exactly the good kind of excitement. I'm experiencing mixed and contradicting emotions. First of all, I kind of feel happy, because some minutes ago someone just confessed to me. Tell me honestly, who doesn't like to be loved and wanted? So, at first I felt good when I heard Umji say that she liked me. But reality is that I can't accept and reciprocate her feelings.

"But I realised it today. I missed you today. I have been thinking for hours now. Kyungwan, I like you," she told me.

I was taken by surprise. I hadn't expected it at all. My mouth was shut tight for a minute as I searched for appropriate words. How does one reject and break the heart of such a nice girl? Fortunately she waited patiently for me to speak up.

"I understand. It must be too sudden for you. After all, we have known each other only for few days," she says. She probably lost her patience. But yeah girl, you are speaking my mind.

"I can't say that's completely wrong."

"I felt something today. And although I am the type to speak little, I say what I feel because I find keeping things to myself torturous. So I told you what was in my heart."

"I'm sorry that I'll not be able to tell you what you want to hear. You are right, that this is too sudden for me. All I see right now between us are differences. You are a nice person. You are beautiful and rich. You are practically a princess. Look at this vacation. So extravagant. And me... I'm just lucky that I knew Nayeon. I'm here as an employee. I... I can't force my heart..."

"I understand," she cut me. "I don't expect you to like me the way I like you. And please, don't feel pressured about it. I know we can't control our hearts. Just go with the flow. But I request you this; please allow me get to know you better. Because only if we know each other, can we get past through our differences and embrace each other as who we are."

I had nothing more to say so I just nodded but I'm not sure if Umji saw it in the semi darkness.

"So be yourself," she said. "Don't act differently than you had been in the past days with me."

"Okay," I said. "Shall we go back?"

Heading back to the villa, we had more ordinary chat, like their plan about tomorrow's party. We parted our ways in the main hall. And now here I am in my room, not able to get her out of my head.

Part of me feels bad. Because she won't ever be able to get closer to me and be something more than just friends, if she should fantasize it at all. Because she likes Mister Yoo Kyungwan, not Miss Yoo Kyungwan. I regret being Nayeon's conspirator in her game. If I had corrected Youngjae when I had the chance, this trouble would not have come.

The night passes with me having little sleep. I keep thinking and mostly rerun Umji's confession in my head.

Morning comes and everyone is excited about the party ahead. I am tired and need more sleep. But I can't stay asleep as the villa can no longer contain the excitement of the vacationers. We drive out from the villa in the afternoon.

We ride a long way to some resort and I am glad it's a long ride. I sleep on the way and Jimin wakes me up later. I know it was a long ride because I slept for about two hours during the ride.

The place is huge and now I understand all the hype about this party. There's a huge hall indoors, huge lawn outside and the beach, all packed with people who have come to party. Everybody disperses to mingle with the crowd. Even Jimin is doing it well with Eden and Jennifer by his sides.

"What would you like to drink?" Jungkook asks Nayeon.

"It's okay. I'll grab my own drinks." She waltzes away.