22. Double trouble

Nayeon and I sit on the couch. She grabs the envelope and pulls out a photo from inside it. We look at it and....

I don't know about Nayeon but I am ready to faint. The photo is of Jihyo and I from yesterday's visit to the sauna. We are wearing the sauna pajamas and sheep hats made from the towels, and coming out of the female bath house, laughing. The photo is clearly screaming that I am not a man.

"Can you explain what was Kyungwan doing inside the women's bath?" Jaebeom taunts.

We are busted. We have no answer. I keep looking at the photo, not daring to look up in fear of meeting their eyes.

"Soojin told me that she saw Kyungwan in the public bath with this girl," grandma says.

"They were in the place where men were restricted," Soojin, Jaebeom's mother says. She scoffs in mock bafflement, "I can't believe Nayeon had the nerve to marry a girl and present her to us as her husband."

"She fooled you, grandma. She tried to trick you into giving her the share!" Jaebeom asserts.

Grandma raises a hand as if she doesn't want to hear another word. With a pained expression she looks at Nayeon, "Tell me the truth. Why did you marry a woman?"

"I didn't marry a woman," replies Nayeon in a very as a matter of fact tone. "And this girl here in the photo is not Kyungwan."

I do the obvious thing and crack up. As much as the situation is serious, Nayeon's refusal is ridiculous. Totally nonsensical! So someone who saw me at a women's bath is telling that I am a woman and she has a photo of me to prove that she really saw me. And here is Nayeon refuting both. There isn't even a metaphorical example to compare her nonsense to. This is stupid! Finally, Nayeon has lost her mind.

Meanwhile, grandma, Soojin and Jaebeom look at us in confusion and probably wondering why I am laughing so heartily.

"This isn't me?" I point at myself in the photo and ask Nayeon. Honestly, I have to confirm what I heard.

"See? Kyungwan is denying too," Nayeon flashes a smile at everyone. And I stop laughing. She just changed my question to a statement. What is she up to?

"She is Kyungwan's twin sister, Jeongyeon," she says.

"She is my twin sister?" I ask in complete confusion.

"See? Kyungwan is telling you," she goes again. "It-"

"Nonsense!" Jaebeom shouts. His mother grabs his hand; probably stopping him from losing his cool in front of grandma.

"I mean, that doesn't make sense," he says after checking himself. "If he had a twin sister we would know."

"How would you know?" Nayeon says in an irritated tone. "You don't care about Kyungwan! You didn't even pay attention to him when he was eating on the same table as you last night. Also, our marriage was rushed because grandma's health was getting worse. There really wasn't much time for the two families to get to know each other more."

My heart beats erratically in my chest. I'm in a daze, ready to breakdown listening to all these lies Nayeon just blurted. All I want right now is for me to magically disappear this instant. 

"He may have a sister or any other relative that we don't know about. But look at this," Soojin grabs the photo and shows it for everyone to see as if she is showing off a prize she won. "This is clearly Kyungwan!"

"That is exactly why Kyungwan was laughing!" Nayeon replies with such confidence. I don't know know where this is going. I don't even know why I was laughing; I must have lost my mind. I don't know when this nightmare is going to end. I don't know anything! I don't know who I am! I don't know if I should play Kyungwan the husband or Jeongyeon the twin sister from now on. I don't know anymore!