Chapter four: Clever Merci

My mind was still well awake. 

The sunlight seeped through the curtains and blinded my eyes. No nightmares today. The only nightmare I have is back underneath the floorboards, where it should be. I noticed a red blinking light on the corner of my room. I squinted to see better.

The footsteps I heard gave me chills, especially when the door flew open and Rory's face appeared.

" Can I come in?" he asks.

"You're already in." I pointed out. 

He took a seat at the opposite side of the bed and stared at me with cold eyes.

"How much do you remember Mercifer?" He asks in a bitter tone.

I narrowed my eyes. "What do you mean?"

"How much do you remember about that summer?"

"What summer?" I thought about the diary again. The summer of 2010. The prank on a girl named Beatrice. 

"Don't act dumb with me. I know you could still remember everything about me. So that means you still know about Fat Emma. Just admit it." He said roughly.

I cringed. Fat Emma? The girl on the October entry. 

Rory's eyes were ravenous. His words were filled with venom and rage. 

"What are you talking about? I don't remember a girl named Fat Emma!" I exclaimed.

For a second, his eyes-the same color as mine-were unsure. So doubting. As if he was debating something in his head, but he shakes those thoughts and stares me down with cold look. "You're lucky....Don't worry, I won't  break our agreement. Just keep your mouth shut with whatever you dig out."

I replied with a shaky,"I will."

                                                       ******

As soon as Rory left me in peace.He asked me to go downstairs and have breakfast with Aunt Caroline, he muttered something about Topher visiting while I was asleep.Topher, I thought he wasn't mentioned in the diary.

I've read and re-read the diary entry and there was nothing about Topher. But I did mention asking help from a friend to uncover a stalker. No. A killer.

I moved towards the closet, I was proud of myself for being smooth and quiet, not a footstep could be heard. 

My hands lifted the loose floorboard and retrieved the diary. 

It was time for me to tell Aunt Caroline. To catch that killer and make the deaths count. I flipped the pages lazily, checking if the pages were still intact.

An envelope fell out from the last page.

Another streak of luck for me. 

I stared at it. The envelope was yellowish and dirty. I opened it with eagerness. 

TO: whoever found this note

FR: Mercicus Love

   If you found this lovely note, it means that something bad happened to me. 

Alot of people hate me, but a few stood out.

There are six things you should know.

1. Never make any deals with a boy named Rory (If it's you, Sophie reading this.. please be careful around him)

2.Everything you need to know is INSIDE  the treehouse.