❀ lies

| four |

╔═══════════════╗

“you don’t look very good,” was what seonghwa said the moment he entered my apartment and saw me walking towards the kitchen. i didn’t expect him to drop by. as a best friend, he was the one who found this apartment for me and admitted that this apartment was once he used to live too before he moved into mingi’s.

“well, i was having a good rest until you came,” i stated in a joke manner.

“what? i just wanna check on you, is that wrong?” he wore a fake-hurt expression as he said that.

yunho went home moment ago after had some rest for few minutes, telling me that he shouldn’t stay any longer at a girl’s house at this hour. he reminded me to discuss with seonghwa about hyeri nicely, and he didn’t forget to tell me to have a rest and take a good care of myself. what a gentleman. indeed, yunho best boy.

“didn’t your girlfriend stop you from coming here?” i was trying not to cringe at my rough voice.

seonghwa grimaced as he replied, “she did… but you’re my best friend, okay. and she’s out with her friends. she doesn’t need to know that i came here though.”

when he saw me getting the ingredients out of the pantry to start cooking, he rushed over and covered my hands with his. all blood rushed up to my face and i suddenly felt hot. his breath hit my temple when he spoke. “i’ll cook for you,” he murmured. “go rest.”

“i-i’m fine,” i whispered, avoiding myself from looking up at him.

“you’re sick and i’m being what a best friend is supposed to do. so, be a good girl and listen to me, okay?”

“fine,” i said while rolling my eyes.

“come sit here,” seonghwa pulled a chair next to the kitchen counter.

“but you told me to rest,” i said, deadpanned.

“now i don’t want you to rest but accompany me.”

i snickered but sat down anyway. sometimes he could be annoying. and cute. yeah, he was annoyingly cute. when he started to prepare to cook, i watched him taking off his ring. there was an obvious tanned line on his fourth finger where his ring had been. i knew he had never took the ring off except when he was cooking. he must have really loved his girlfriend unconditionally i guess. suddenly there was a resentful feeling and a fire in my gut upon realising this fact. it was jealousy.

“i saw her the other day,” i blurted without thinking.

“who?” he asked while tilting his head to look at me.

“hyeri,” i muttered, wondering again if i should have said anything about the incident.

“really?” he grinned. “did you say hi?”

“i wanted to…” my best friend looked at me, signaling me to continue when i trailed off. “she was meeting someone, so i didn’t approach her. i didn’t want to bother her.”

“was it a group of friends that’s why you didn’t say hi, because you were intimidated?”

i nearly scoffed but shook my head and reached out to brush a speck of dirt on his cheek. “it was a guy,” i murmured softly.

he was taken aback and froze for a bit by my reply before he went back to his work. he seemed to be thinking what to say before he hummed, “maybe it was one of her best friends. like you and me.”

that’s it. could he already stop with the ‘best friend’ thing? hearing how he so openly pointed out our relationship, i couldn’t help but felt a punch on my stomach and a clench in my heart. how could i still love him so much when he obviously only saw me as just a best friend? maybe i just love the feeling of loving him and i didn’t mind whether or not i was going to be loved with the same intensity.

because after all, wasn’t that what love felt like?

╚═══════════════╝