Chapter 2

Beep, beep, beep! Sofie reached her arm over half asleep and bonked her alarm clock. It was 3:30am; time to get up. She rolled out of bed, took a quick shower, and lazily got dressed. She wore khaki pants and a pink, purple, and blue striped polo shirt. She threw her hair up in a messy bun, grabbed some coffee, and put on her comfiest shoes before heading out the door to work. Today was going to be a long day. Sofie wouldn't be home till around 5:00pm.

The breakfast crowd was just beginning to shuffle in for Sofie, meanwhile, Joe was just waking up to the sound of his alarm. He rolled over and tried to focus his bleary eyes on the numbers. The clock read 5:30am. He sat on the edge of the bed, rubbing his eyes and trying to convince himself that he really was awake. After awhile, he got up, took a hot shower, got dressed, reheated the coffee, grabbed a Pop-tart, and left for his job. Before he clocked in, he sent Sofie a message, since he knew they wouldn't really be able to talk much throughout the day. It didn't say much; just that he loved her and hoped she had a good day, reminded her to drink water, and gave her a bunch of hugs and kisses.

It was around 10:00am when Sofie finally took her first break. She pulled out her phone and the biggest smile spread across her face. She quickly replied back with hugs and kisses and stickers of teddy bears and bunnies. So far the day was going smoothly and quickly. Sofie couldn't wait to get home and see her Daddy. She drank her water and went back inside.

Joe, on the other hand, didn't get his break till noon. He went to a nearby food truck that sold sandwiches and bought a couple, then looked for a shady spot to sit and rest in. Once he had finished eating and was drinking his water, he pulled out his phone to check for messages. He could tell from the content alone that it was Sofie. Hearts and teddy bears everywhere. He loved seeing her messages. They always cheered him up. He gave her a quick text back telling her to have a good day and that he was proud of her for drinking her water instead of soda. He ended it with "XOXO" and hit send. It was time to get back to work.

It was approximately 5:15pm when Joe walked through the door of their apartment. He called Sofie's name but knew she wasn't there. Her car was not parked outside nor was she bounding down the hallway in an attempt to tackle him with hugs. "She must have gotten held up at work," he thought to himself and decided to fix her a little snack while they waited for take out to arrive.

Joe had just finished making her snack, and was beginning to wonder if he should call and check on her, when he heard the key turn the lock on the door.

"Hey! There she is. Hows my beautiful-" Joe started. But something was amiss. Sofie was crying. She ran down the hall towards him and Joe held out his arms to embrace her. For what felt like an eternity, they stood in the hallway, Joe holding the crying Sofie in his arms and telling her she was safe. Daddy was here. He eventually got her to sit down in the living room and brought her some water, then asked her what had happened.

"It was my last table," Sofie began. "It was a 7 top. I was bringing out their food and some refills." Sofie paused and sipped on her water, not wanting to continue.

"Its ok, Sofie. Daddy's here." Joe said, wrapping an arm around her.

"Oh Daddy! I spilled it all over this lady. I was almost to the table when someone pushed their chair back without looking. They bumped right into me and...... and.......I lost control of the tray. It went right on her." Sofie collapsed against Joe.

Joe held onto her for a minute before asking "Well whats the matter? She got her food didn't she?"

"I don't think she wanted to wear it, Daddy" Sofie said exhaustedly.

"Well people are just too picky these days," exclaimed Joe, and despite herself, Sofie let out a tiny giggle.

Encouraged by the laughter, Joe asked her what she'd like to do for dinner, but Sofie was just too worn down. So Joe suggested a horror movie and some wings. Sofie wholeheartedly agreed and within an hour they were eating wings together and enjoying the movie. Tomorrow was Saturday. He would find a way to make it a great day for her.