10

"Which tie: the black or the blue?"

"You're wearing a tie?"

"I'm trying to look-. BAH!"

Something would've fallen to the ground after that annoyed swipe across the counter, if there had been anything on it.

"That was anticlimactic."

Carmilla had been trying to find the perfect outfit for the past 2 hours. Her entire closet would have been on her bed if she wasn't trying to keep everything clean for Laura's arrival. Shed gone through each outfit so far with at least 3 reasons why they wouldn't work. This one was too long. This one had a tiny hole in the bottom left corner. That one was too tight in all the wrong places. Lafontaine walked in just in time for the newest freak out.

"Dude get a grip. You don't have to butch it out for Laura. You only bring out that shirt for special occasions! -"

"This is a special occasion! It's Laura!" Carmilla started taking the outfit off and placing it back on the hanger.

"That's not what I meant. You wore that to my internship completion ceremony is what I meant. And the makeshift prom. And my cousins wedding. The button up, slacks, and shiny shoe combo isn't exactly first meet up material. Nor for you anyway. Give her one of those vintage Carmilla Karnstein looks. She knows who you are already, you don't have to sell yourself to her. She got you for free." Laf started rummaging through what was left of Carmilla's closet.

"Nothing feels right! Nothing feels perfect to pick her up in! She deserves it! I got up at 6 a.m. to find an outfit, Lafontaine! WITH NO COFFEE!"

"Calm your fangs, Countess Karnstein! Have you tried this one?" They held up a new choice to her. Laf shut down the start of Carmilla's spiral, shoving their findings into her arms. "Put it on."

Carmilla stood there for a moment before taking the clothes off their hangers and shoving them on.

"I don't think I could ever get used to you changing in front of me." Laf blinked twice, rapidly, adjusting the snapback on their head. "Good thing I only have eyes for Perry."

"Good thing I'm not attracted to either of you." Carmilla pulled the pants over her waist and buttoned them up.

"How's that feel?" Lafontaine rolled their eyes with a smirk.

"Better. Thanks, Dr. Doofendork." Carmilla adjusted herself, feeling the most comfortable she had the entire morning.

Black ripped jeans, white fitted tank, and a black hooded jean jacket was the outfit of choice. It was tight where it needed to be. It wasn't too big or too small for her liking today. It was perfect.

Laf fist bumped their friend as they headed out. "Listen, don't go driving yourself nuts, okay? She's going to love you just as much in person as she does already. Think about it, she may not be freaking out as much as you are right now."
As they let themselves out, Carmilla sighed. "Yeah, she's probably worse."

Laura's POV

"WHERE'S MY BACKPACK?"

"YOU'RE WEARING IT!" Sherman groaned.

They'd gotten dressed and loaded the truck for the trip; and, every time they got close to done, Laura panicked about forgetting something. Her left sock was almost a First 48 case. Her backpack went missing 3 times between her bedroom and the front door. She put her bagel into her pocket and tried to eat her phone as she complained about losing her phone. Her father pulled the device from between her teeth and cleaned the cream cheese off the screen. It was at that moment that Sherman Hollis feared for his daughter's well-being. It was like her brain shut off every time anything other than breathing was necessary. She tripped over absolutely nothing on her way to the truck.