Chapter 1: 1824

It all started a month ago, February 1824. I was sat in my old, brown armchair. It was rather uncomfortable, with a spring poking my left thigh, but I didn’t mind, I was captivated listening to my beautiful wife tell me about her day. I pretended to be interested in everything she told me, simply because I loved to listen to her voice. She went on for about half an hour. Well that is my best guess, I wasn’t paying attention to the clock above the fireplace. She was wearing a long, cream gown and her wavy, dark hair hung half way down her back. She was the most beautiful women I had ever met. We had married around 2 months before. 13th December 1823. But I am straying away from the story. She was interrupted mid-sentence with a knock on the door. My beautiful Trish smiled and dismissed me. I let go of her hand, that I had been holding during the time she was talking, and slowly rose from my chair and went to answer the door. The house was two floors but held only six rooms in total. Although it wasn’t the best, nor cleanest, of houses in the city, it was satisfactory and Trish and I were happy together. I got to the door as the visitor began to knock for a second time. I opened the door and he flinched, narrowly stopping his fist from knocking my face; he knew as well as anyone, that you didn’t want to aggravate me. I recognised him almost immediately even though I had not seen him in a matter of years due to my recent relationship with Trish. I invited him in and asked if he wanted a cup of tea. He declined my offer and told me he was just here to give me job. It was the usual business. I had tried to avoid the jobs since I had told Trish about them and promised her that as long as I could help it, I wouldn’t get involved in that sort of business again.

 What kind of business was I involved in you ask? Well, I was an assassin. Blood Red I was infamously known as. Not for the obvious reasons. The reason I was named that by the public was because of what I wore day and night. My blood red jacket, covering my plain white Shirt and the red tie I wore around my neck. My leg wear were deep blue and baggy around the ankles and the thigh. So, I had attempted to avoid this line of work for a number of years and had been successful… ‘til that night. And it was that job that began a series of events which led to my breakaway from the busy life of London and forced me to live in the shadows.