Chapter 6: The Homeless Man

For the next two nights, I slept in the alley way. Well I say slept but I barely slept at all. I never realized how loud homeless people snore… I lay awake for most of every night thinking how I would find Derek. I was almost certain he would have fled his home by now; no intelligent man would hang around an area where there was someone he knew wanted to kill him. I used to feel sorry for him for I had killed his wife and I could recognise the sorrow in his every word but then… well those feeling had transformed into pity and hatred. I would rather he had killed me than Trish and I would make him wish the same. If he had killed me, Trish would be able to control her anger more than me and would have preferred to go to the police but I am not Trish. I have never been able to control my anger as well as her and was not going to start then.

 Of course, I had to remember that I could not kill a man if I did not know where he was, therefore, my first task was to track him down. The screaming continued to repeat non-stop in my head and it was beginning to drive me mad. I bellowed for them to shut up which awoke the group of five homeless people in the alley. They were asleep when I arrived which was the only reason I stopped there, I could not have anyone recognising me. Four of them took one look at me and ran as fast as there bony legs could carry them but one remained.

 “You… you’re him are you not?” He asked with a croaky, depressed voice. He looked me up and down taking in the colour of my suit. A blood red Jacket matching the blood red tie wrapped under the collar of the pure white shirt. My deep blue trouser were like his own but his consisted of more rips and was covered in dirt.

 “Aye, but I am not here for you or any of your friends.” I ignored his confused looks and lay down to try to get some sleep.

 “Well… err… I need to go… somewhere.” The tramp said awkwardly. His voice was trembling; I think he knew what was going to happen.

“You’re going to the police, right?” I asked calmly.

“What? Of course not! I need to… do… something…”

“Do not lie to me.”

“I am not lying, I…”

“I can tell you’re lying, your voice gives it away.” At that point he slowly rose and then fled a fast as he could. He wasn’t fast enough though, as he ran round the corner he slid as I grabbed the collar of his shirt. He attempted to scream but only managed a soft squeal as I grasped my free hand firmly around his mouth. I pulled him back into the alley and thrust him against the cold, damp, stone wall. I released my grip from his collar and applied it to his throat instead. As my grasp tightened, the homeless man’s face grew dark shades of purple. He attempted to gasp for breath but I noticed it and further tightened my grip on his throat and the screams inside my head grew louder. His death was quick; he was weaker than an ordinary person due to the conditions of which he lived in. His struggles slowly came to halt and his feet slid until the only thing keeping him off the floor was my hand around his neck. I released my grip as his face grew white and he fell to ground and lay there, motionless. The screams softened but remained in my head. I smiled. I smiled a sick smile. I softly chuckled and brushed dust off my jacket and lay down to sleep.

 Just as I was about to drift off, I was disturbed by a deep croaky voice.

 “If you were looking for me, congratulations.”

 My eyes widened, my face grew pale and I slowly got to my feet to face the challenger.