Chapter 9- Unlucky

After hours of trembling and turning, Sam woke up from her old bed, and sat up looking around her bedroom. She breathed heavily and slid back into her head bored and slipped off her t-shirt feeling her sweaty stomach. She slapped her hands in her face feeling the sweat on her brow and lower lip. She sniffed as her eyes went blurry from thinking of last night. She kneeled on her bed and turned her fan on then flopped back onto her bed. Sam looked over at her bedside clock which read 1:37 AM. She sighed loudly. Grabbing her phone from the table, she looked and found no texts or calls from Harry.

"Figures. Probably too drunk to think." She tossed her phone to the end of the bed, flipped over, and screamed in her pillow.

Sam heard a knock at her door and heard someone come in. "Honey, can I come in?" Sam's mom asked.

Sam sniffed again, "well you're pretty much in already, aren't you?" Her face hit her pillow again.

"Oh, sweetie." Ms. Walsh walked over to the side of Sam’s bed. "This situation has been going on long enough. Ever thought of taking a break? Vacation?" She rubbed Sam's back.

"No," Sam shuddered. She closed her eyes in her pillow.

Ms. Walsh looked at her with soft eyes. "Maybe you should think about that. Or, I mean, you could just try talking."

"Yeah but talking never helps, mom! Talking leads to stuff like this for me! Heck, with my luck, that girl that was with Harry is probably pregnant!" She yelled through her pillow.

Her mom looked down at the floor. She clenched her lips. "Well, try and get some rest. It's 1:45. Think about it tomorrow." She rubbed her back one more time. "I'll get you some water." She went close to her ear. "And to be honest, a guy that does something like that, isn't always worth the fight." She kissed her cheek and got up and went out the door.

Sam got up, went to the bathroom, and splashed some water on her face then went back to bed.

***

It was icy and cold walking down the sidewalk. Sam almost slipped multiple times but caught herself. Her hands were warm in her pockets with her hot breath making clouds in the air. Whenever she shut her eyes, tears dripped from the cold air on her eyeballs. She wiped them dry. She came to the bakery, stopping short. She breathed in as the air chilled her throat and closed her eyes. She licked her barely chapped lips and walked up to the door of the bakery and stepped in. A burst or hot air filled her face and shuttered through her body like the heat from the sun in the summer. She shyly looked around, only seeing a man in the corner reading the paper with a cup of coffee. She then heard noises from the back room and she received butterflies knowing it was Harry. She breathed in deeply before he came out. He held a try of frosted cinnamon buns. As he placed them on the counter, he looked up and saw Sam standing with her hands still in her pockets barely looking at Harry. He grabbed his cloth and wiped his hands.

"I-I was gonna call you..." He said.

"When?" Sam said calmly. She shrugged.

Harry swallowed. He came around the counter and stood in front of Sam for a moment. He then gestured to a seat. Sam slowly sat down followed by Harry sitting across. He crossed his big fingers and covered his mouth with his clasped hands.

Sam sat forwards. "What happened?"

Harry closed his eyes tight. "I don't know. I don’t know how, why it happened. I didn't mean for it to happen." He bit all of his bottom lip. He chuckled. "I guess we're even then."

Sam tried to look amused, but it didn't show.

"I guess I should tell you who it was."

Sam shrugged again.

"The girl was the girl that came to the door. My ex, Lexi. I don't even think she was drunk, I think she just wanted me away from you."

"Why?"

"Jealousy maybe. I dumped her a while ago, and you're ten times more beautiful than her. She's just a stuck up bitch..."

"I saw the way you came back in the apartment, after answering the door to her. You were really happy. How drunk were you last night?" She sat patiently.

Harry opened his mouth to speak when he heard the beeper for the oven. He looked to the kitchen then back at Sam. "Hold on a sec." He rushed over to the oven in the kitchen leaving his phone on the table. Sam looked at his phone, craving to look through it. She looked up at the man in the corner, reading the paper. He hadn't looked up. She looked back down at the phone then looked to the kitchen then back down. Her hand was hovering over it right as it buzzed. Her hand jumped away as her heart skipped beats a mile a minute. She licked the corner of her lip and slowly moved the phone in her direction. The text was from Lexi.

Lexi: I think I'm pregnant.

Sam swallowed hard and pushed the phone away. She stumbled out of her chair and ran out the door running to the park to hide in the woods. That was her first reaction. She slammed the gate open and ran to the farthest tree she could get to. She hid on the other side of it and cried. I knew it. She thought.

Harry came back out of the kitchen looking for Sam. He only saw the man reading the paper, leaving.

"Excuse me, did you happen to see the girl that was in here leave?" Harry asked the man as he wiped his hands on his skinny jeans.

"Um, yeah. She sort of, ran out." He shook his head. "I'm not sure why though."

Harry looked back at the table they were sitting at and saw his phone lit up. He walked towards it and saw the text. His mouth opened. He got a knot in his throat as he held the phone in his hands, looking through the glass door Sam ran out of.