08紛争

【今、私には幸せも不幸もありません...】

"Now I have neither happiness nor unhappiness..."

Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human

Yona whimpered as she shakingly gripped on the ends of Hak's shirt. "Are you truly on our side?..." The male's face showed a prideful smile.

"I was given orders by the king to protect the Twin Princesses' of the Kouka Kingdom. No matter what happens, I shall obey this command." For Hak to say this confidently, it gave comfort to Yona. Someone found this funny though.

"Silence knave. Master Suwon now has the authority for you to listen to his orders—I mean he is the new king of this kingdom." Keishuku said.

With a dangerous smile on his face, Hak questioned them. "Who's the new master of what now? I have a bad feeling but where is King II, Your Royal Highness?" The air felt suffocating around the two. Though Suwon was silent for a while, he still answered calmly.

"I just sent him to hell a few moments ago." Hak snapped.

He slammed his Hsu Quandao into the ground with a furious look. The ground shook from Hak's monstrousness strength; it was like an earthquake, making everyone except Suwon stumble upon their feet. "Are you saying you've killed our king? A kind king that only wanted nothing but peace? Do you not have any pride?!" His eyes darkened with anger as he charged at Suwon. Hak aimed his Hsu Quandao toward the blonde's head, making Suwon block with his sword.

"This kingdom has no need for a weak king like him." The words Suwon continued to spew just added more fuel to Hak's anger. "You're lying!" The sound of metal clanking against each other and the sight of eyes observing the fighting scene closely. "Ask the twin princesses themselves!" Suwon said during the noisy clanking. "They both can confirm it since their eyes witnessed the whole thing." Hak pushed Suwon back before swinging the weapon on his opponent's shoulder. The strength Hak used to make that injury on Suwon, made him jump back, grunting from the pain on his shoulder.

This made Keishuku try to reach out to his master. "You should stay back Keishuku. You wouldn't want mister Son Hak here to behead you right?" Kanna yelled, warning him with a smug. "But I would find it an honor to be killed by one of the Five Generals." Kanna said before Keishuku cut her off. "The Lightening Beast of Kouka." Keishuku released a nervous chuckle, stepping back as warned.

"GET AWAY FROM YONA!"

The sudden raise of Kanna's voice interrupted the fight. When turning around—they all saw the scene of Yona with a sword around her neck and Kanna trying to free herself from the guard's grasp.

"Now that should be enough, yes?" Keishuku said as guards started to surround Hak. "Lay down your weapon, Lightening Beast." Hak scoffed before throwing the weapon on the ground near the guards' feet. "Was the Suwon we've knew since childhood been an illusion? To think I wanted to entrust the princess to you." Keishuku showed a sly smile. "How foolish. Even though you're one of the five generals, you're still just a child." Hak questioned what the older male meant.

"If King II had continued to rule then the Kohka Kingdom would've soon fall. People who've been living peacefully here at the Crimson Dragon Castle, like you two, will never understand what Master Suwon-"

"Watch your tongue, Keishuku." Suwon ordered, making Hak further question aloud. "What does he mean?" Suwon glared at his former childhood friend. "It meant that the Suwon you knew never existed." As Suwon walked toward Hak, his grip on the sword tightened. 'You can't take any of this back.' Suwon reminded himself as he pointed his sword Infront of Hak. "I won't hesitate to strike down anyone who gets in my way. Anyone."

Before Suwon's sword was able to touch anything more than a strain of Hak's hair, an arrow sloppily hit the ground near Yona, shocking the guards surrounding them. Immediately, Hak picked up his Hsu Quandao while Kanna harshly jabbed the guard's chin with her head. He swung his weapon to strike the guards that surrounded him; she grabbed the guard's sword with the intention to strike the one holding Yona hostage. The female was getting ready to charge and attack the guard, unfortunately though, Hak beat her to. Hitting the guard with the bottom of the Hsu Quandao, he hurriedly carried Yona before making a run for it with Kanna.

Though it was for a slight second, Kanna was able to see once again Suwon's fallen façade. An expression which showed relief of their escape yet grief at the same time.

♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢

"There's just no end to them." Minsoo whispered, peaking at the guards alongside his sister. Turning around to check up on Yona, he saw how emotionless she had become. Minsoo was unsure if it was okay for him to ask but he still asked the three softly. "Is King II truly gone?" Yona flinched from the question as images of her father's dead body started to reappear. "Yes." Kanna answered, leaning into Yona's shoulder to give her sister comfort.

If others were to see this silent scene, it would've been called an awkward silence. To them though, it was a silence of grief for their king's passing. The silence didn't last long as the guards that were patrolling the area kept on coming dangerously close to them. "It would only be a matter of time before they find us." Hak sighed. "All of the guards and troops that support His Royal Highness are gathering in the castle. You'll all be killed if you're caught." Aya explained while looking out for the patrollers.

"I'll secure a way out. Please escape from this castle with Aya." Minsoo said. For her brother to make a risky one-sided decision all by himself made Aya upset. "No, I'm going with you Minsoo." Her dull face was now showed with an expression of anger. Everyone was surprised to see Aya angry, though for Minsoo, his eyes softened. "It's nice to see you express your emotions. It seems we'll both have to secure an exit path." "But you both might..." Hak tried to dismiss their plan but Minsoo just smiled.

"Don't worry about me, just focus on escaping. I'll make sure that Aya escapes if I'm not able to."

It was their last time seeing the siblings before leaving the Kohka Kingdom and into the mountains.

To be continued