Chapter II: Mommy (& Daddy) Dearest

The Evil Queen had her legs crossed on the midnight blue sofa in front of the fireplace. Just before she faced her mother, Evie reapplied her apple red lip shade and let out the ponytail in her hair. She bounced her waves to add a little extra volume. Grimhilde turned around upon hearing the click of heels.

"My Evie, come to Mummy" the woman said as Evie walked to her mother. The two exchanged faire la bise and Evie sat across from her mother. She pulled her skirt closer to her knees, knowing her mother wouldn't approve of how much of her legs she showed.

"Tell me, dear. Who was that man in the handsome suit?"

"Oh. Him? Uh..." Evie glanced up to Dizzy who slowly backed away with a wave.

With a deep breath, Evie cleared her throat. "He's a friend of mine"

"Is he a prince? In line for the throne anytime soon? Hades, your father made such a fool of me with that whole 'in line' situation" Grimhilde grumbled. She clasped her hands together, clearly bothered by the memory.

"My father? Do you care to speak more of him?" Evie asked a little too eagerly.

"No, I do not wish to. That era of my life was quite a mistake. I didn't mean for you even to exist... no offense"

Oh, no offense taken, Evie thought to herself, mentally rolling her eyes.

"You and your friend seemed a tad too close, Genevieve. And you have quite a few pictures together" Grimhilde looked around, spotting all of the framed pictures of her daughter.

"Genevieve?!" Evie nearly screamed as her mother huffed. "You named me Genevieve?!"

"Yes. That was more of your father's doing. I went to visit him in The Southern Isles a few hours ago" The woman said, rubbing her forehead as if she wasn't feeling well. "That must be why he is so fresh my mind"

"My dad lives in the Southern Isles? And you actually know who he is?" The blue haired beauty asked attempting to keep the subject away from her and Doug.

"Of course I do, Genevieve. You thought I had forgotten about your father? That was Maleficent who was all about about the concept of forgetting men. I'll always remember that man. The few freckles on his face that you inherited. His silky, smooth, honey colored hair"

"Please stop with the "Genevieve" thing, Mummy. And m—my dad is Hans Westergaard?" Evie questioned. The Evil Queen hid her face in disgust. She looked back up at her daughter before she spoke.

"Yes. I swear even speaking of the name gives me heartburn. Oh, I was so young, my dear. So young. Too young to be a biological mother. He had caught my eye and I couldn't lose sight of him" Grimhilde sighed.

"Where did I inherit the blue hair from, then?" Evie asked. She pulled her loose waves over her shoulders. Still in disbelief over the news, she didn't know how to feel.

"My dear, that I do not know. You'll have to find that out yourself. All I know is that you were born with it. That blue monstrosity on your head was always questionable. Perhaps because of the medication I took. Who knows," the woman said with a chuckle.

Evie tried not to let the coarse words stick to her heart, but she felt a pang of hurt. She had grown to love her blue hair, but finding out that it was most likely a genetic mutation, demeaned her confidence. Especially knowing that the information about her procreators didn't give her any more confidence than she had before.

With a quiet sigh, she tried to let the news sink it, but a lump seemed to be growing in her throat. "Oh. So—so were you and my father ever married? Or was I born out of wedlock?"

"No, we never married. But your birth was registered in the state of Auradon. Your father made that a priority. Well he did before he up and left. He was gone in a flash. No word, nothing. But that's okay. Because you're your Mummy's daughter anyway. Come here," the woman commanded as Evie did just that. She gave her mother a forced hug before the former Queen shooed her away.

Her mother glanced at a picture on the mantle that was of Evie and Doug, His arms were around her waist as she was in full giggles, her smile lines in full effect. The Queen smiled at it, something of a rare sight.

"I want to meet this man of yours sometime, Evie. And don't tell me you are just something of accomplices. Believe me. Maleficent said that about Hades once upon a time" Grimhilde commented in a mocking tone as there was a glint of sadness in her eyes. Quickly regaining her composure, the Evil Queen looked to her daughter, seeing her own self as she looked into Evie's amber eyes.

Love is what my Evie needs. The love that I thought I had.  

"That'll be all. Just visiting my daughter and her father today. I shall be on my way"

"Very nice to sit with you, Mummy. I will see you later" Evie said with a small wave.

Grimhilde hesitated to send her daughter a hug, but instead nodded her head and let herself out. The woman approached the car sitting out on the curb of the driveway. Evie peeked out the curtain to see a man with hair the color of honey, smoothed back and freckles lining his nose.

As he started the car and drove away, Evie's head throbbed. After all this time, she hadn't known the man of whom she was born. Just to find out that it was Hans of the Southern Isles. And he had been right outside her window.

Both her parents considered themselves royalty, but neither really had status. At least her father had been 13th in line to the throne, but what did that matter?

She wasn't a real princess. Just a girl who felt entitled to likely a nonexistent royal birthright.