Clichés

Clichés

            I want to talk about clichés and the unnecessary hate they get.

            Please, everyone, stop hating on clichés. Clichés have feelings too.

            Seriously, though, this needs to stop. Clichés are awesome! They might not be groundbreaking or thought provoking but they sure are entertaining! If they weren't than why are they so popular? Clichés are great foundations, especially for new writers. Lord knows how many I've used as a springboard to greater things. We need clichés, so stop trying to get rid of them.

            Allow me to let you in on something you may or may not know. Majority of Wattpad writers are teenagers. Yes, teens are supplying majority of the work on this website. This is rad! So let it be rad and stop trying to tear people's ideas and work and whatevers down!

            Readers, this one's for you, because I know my fellow writers know what I'm talking about. Some of you are harsh! I'm the same age if not younger than a lot of you, I'm just trying my best! Same with all the other writers out there! Yes, I've used clichés because no, I'm not a professional writer.

            If you're the type of reader who rolls your eyes or snorts or whatever you do when you read a cliché than leave it at that, don't tell the writer! Because chances are, they love what they're writing, and if they love it than they don't want to see it maimed. I'm not saying to hold back constructive criticism, but insulting someone's imagination (or lack of) is not that.

            I was just perusing through the Werewolf Club here and I saw the same discussion over and over, Werewolf Clichés You Hate. Let me tell you something, y'all LOVE the clichés. Trust me, you do. At some point you've read one and ejoyed it. You all say you would, but very few of you would read something outside of those rigid lines, not many want hairy half men in cut-off jeans.

            Clichés are also a good learning opportunity for new writers. You get to learn the trends of writing, how to make something original from something not so original, and how to twist ideas. This is the kicker, Wattpad is a site full of young writers, young writers that need that learning curve.

        And if you can't handle it, then go buy your books for twenty dollars apiece because what you're getting on Wattpad is free content, and I don't think anyone who spends hours pouring over their work should be criticised - especially when they do it for free!

        Basically, what I'm trying to say is to be lenient with the writers on this site. They're only writing what they believe people want to read and trust me, they're doing it the upmost amount of hope and excitement. Don't hate clichés, let them be what they're supposed to be, entertaining. And if you don't find them to be, silently move on to the next story, there's lots around! Or maybe, try writing! 

* * *

Agree? Leave a comment! Disagree? Leave a comment. Have a question of your own? Leave a comment!