⚔️𝔖𝔦𝔵𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫⚔️

Sunlight filtered through the morning clouds, glistening off of the cobblestones in precious waves. It paved the path that bound Caspar to his destiny, his practice axe slung over his shoulder as he strode with a bounce in his step. He was relieved that the rain had passed overnight; the clatter of raindrops tapping the ceiling and the crack-like whip of thunder rattling his senses to the core. It forced him to cuddle up to Linhardt even closer, to which he didn't mind.

The weather didn't seem to bother Linhardt at all, leading Caspar to believe that he was far more tired than usual. You could have sent a fleet of Knights of Seiros charging at his feet, or flown a flapping Pegasus directly above his head and he still would have been snoring, his mouth partially hanging open. Caspar grit his teeth in annoyance at his own constant feeble attempts at sleep, despite learning Linhardt's secret.

He turned a corner and continued his march to the training grounds. Figuring it was extremely early to be up and moving around, he would get some practice swings in before the hubbub lit the campus. Nobody in their right mind would wake up feeling frustrated, but it was something Caspar was used to since he was frustrated about not sleeping properly. It was a great way to vent that frustration and get stronger at the same time!

With several yards to travel yet before he would be walking through the doors, he gazed around at his surroundings and took in the serenity of the morning. Being a night owl was one thing, but seeing the sun rise and having the cool crisp air wrap around you was like taking that first sip of coffee. At least that's what Caspar assumed having your first sip of coffee would be like. Listening to the birds chirping to one another, the gentle breeze passing through the tops of the trees as if they were waving good morning to one another... it was just so peaceful.

Yet there was a worm of apprehension worming its way into his belly, and he walked a little slower. The muscles in his legs twitched, aching for him to take off in a sprint and get behind the security of those closed doors. A cold prickle rippled its way across the back of his neck and careened through his shoulders, causing his stomach muscles to clench. He forced his feet to stop and he quickly swiveled on his heel.

The sunlight was now casting a blinding white light as it grazed over the mountains, and he had to shield his eyes using his hand as a visor. From where he stood, there were no approaching figures or animals. Nothing to be alarmed about, he thought. When he was satisfied there was no potential surprise, he turned back around and was on his way to the large sturdy building that branched off of the monastery.

After a few swift paces, he was startled by a disgruntled shout of reproach and protest, and he stopped again. Around the corner of the grounds emerged a tall boy. One who held himself with dignity and pride, as Caspar had seen him before. Now he was skulking toward him, his lavender eyes seething with impatience. Caspar waited for the boy to be close enough to gain his attention.

Even though he was now close enough to reach out and touch, Caspar still felt the need to shout from the depths of his lungs. "Oh hey Lorenz! Was that you shouting over there?" Caspar smiled, but his peer couldn't meet him with the same courtesy.

His thin lips were pressed. "Maybe it was," he said irritably. "It's quite nothing for you to worry about, Caspar."

"There he goes!"

Caspar looked behind Lorenz to see where that voice had come from. Two more boys approached from behind the building, and Lorenz buried his face in his hands with an annoyed shake of his head.

"Haha, egghead! Did a blind walrus give you that stupid haircut? Hey, why don't you answer when you're being spoken to? I thought nobles were all about respect or whatever!"

Lorenz stood erect, his cheeks reddening slightly. He had an oval shaped face, his lavender hair framing it in a wide upside down V. The back part of his hair was shorter by a margin, the underside shaved completely.