⚔️𝔗𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶⚔️

"Which three students will you be needing?" Reluctance poured into Rhea's tone. While Araluen's help had been needed and they delivered, she didn't feel comfortable forging such a close pact with a still foreign country. As much as sending her own students over there to do Seiros knows what. "And precisely what tasks will they be required to perform? Surely you could take some of our maids or servants?" 

     Alexys shook her head, her gaze solid on Rhea's like stone. If looks could kill. "As I've just stated, their service to the Rangers Corps would be highly necessary. A few of our best, well seasoned fighters and tacticians will be retiring in a few years. Young, eager minded students attending a school to learn how to fight seems like the perfect opportunity to me." She tilted her head to the side as she spoke.

     "And let me remind you, Lady Rhea, that the Rangers not only serve Araluen but they also take part in keeping things under control where possible. I think that would prove to be favorable if we're going to build a stable alliance." Alexys trailed off, her eyes following the intricate carvings of the walls up into the ceiling. 

     "As for who I'm going to take, that's yet to be decided. I need time to assess the abilities of all the students on the campus and then I need to be able to test them, with their consent of course." 

     Rhea stiffened at Alexys' last words. 

     Alexys' gaze dropped from the ceiling, noticing a change in the air around them. It was almost like static. "Is something the matter?"

     "I am insulted," Rhea said stiffly. "I oversee a fine establishment that nourishes each soul with compassion and faith. A handful of our students here aren't even noble born, and this monastery is like a sanctuary to them. You imply that some of them are forced to hone their skills to become better, more well rounded people against their will?" 

     "That wasn't my intention at all. I'm simply stating that I would prefer that even if I see a student with stellar potential, they join upon their own volition. From what I've seen so far, each of them have their own vision they wish to pursue," Alexys offered an explanation of her harsh wording in a conciliatory tone. 

     "I see," Rhea said with an understanding nod of her head. "Forgive me for jumping to conclusions. If you must, I will not stand in your way. I will pray that our countries remain in good standing." 

     Alexys' heart had seized as if it had hardened to stone in her chest. She had a vague idea of how the three separate territories were run within Fodlan, and she surmised that Rhea was indicating that three of their own will be serving on Araluen territory. That it could potentially spell disaster if things were to turn sour. Aware of this fact, but withholding her mission, Alexys straightened her posture and gave a curt nod of her head. "Of course."

⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️

It was nearly time for class to begin. Everyone was seated, and most chatted amongst themselves, the room flooding with the drone of chatter. Any moment now, those doors would open, and cool air would rush into the room, followed by the cold as ice professor herself. Caspar kept his head lowered, his fists balled tight in his lap. His left leg bounced up and down with fervor, in tune with his rapid heart rate. 

     Linhardt was beside him, of course, his eyes scouring a book in front of him. Out of the corner of his left eye, he could detect the incessant movement of Caspar and it disrupted his focus. He closed the book and slowly turned his head. "Don't you ever tire of moving all the time?"

     Caspar was gnawing on the inside of his cheek and he jumped at the sudden interruption of his thoughts. He scrunched his eyebrows, his lips curling into a frown. "What do you mean, Linhardt? I haven't moved at all!" Unbeknownst to him, his leg bobbing increased in speed by a fraction.