Chapter 12| A Sweet Boy

I collected myself and took in deep breaths while assuring myself that my bones would still be intact by the time she decided to leave. I was low-key glad she was around but the sadness was greater. Why was she here?

With her arrival, we were supposed to be four at home. That was, she, Aunty Oma, Uncle Blessing and myself. But Uncle Blessing was out of the picture for now, at least until he came back. He had gone on one of his numerous breaks from the house and his marriage. That had happened on Tuesday. I'd noticed him take a small suitcase with him and ask Mr Pius to put in the booth but I hadn't thought much of it. It was just at that moment that it dawned on me that he might be with her, Dumebi. Of course Aunty Oma was moody and distraught. I didn't care much though. All I was concerned about was my hands. Would they survive Aunty Nelo's stay?

Aunty Chinelo was Aunty Oma's only sibling. She was a slimmer, taller and prettier version of her sister. She'd graduated from University some months ago. I'd been dropped at Lady Bridget's house so Aunty Oma and Uncle Blessing could attend her graduation in Abuja. I automatically concluded she was here for her youth service. A whole year of torture.

Now, Aunty Nelo was nice, too nice even. But she was lazy, slothful and everything synonymous to lazy. If it wasn't a matter of life and death or anything she deemed extremely important, she wouldn't bother stressing about it. She could stay in bed throughout the day and binge watch series. She took life easily and lived by 'YOLO'– you only live once.

"Aunty Nelo!" I bolted the smaller gate and walk-ran towards her, trying to act pleased by her presence.

"How are you my darling?" she lowered her phone and smiled at me, genuinely happy to see her unpaid personal assistant aka slave.

I took her outfit which was a mid-length red leather dress which she paired with black block heels. The red colour looked pretty against her fair skin. Then I saw her hair, tiny braids done with pink extensions that fell below her butt. My poor self would have to take all that out, alone.

"I'm fine. Um Aunty, did you just come to visit or are you staying for a while?" I asked as we began walking towards the front door.

"I am, actually. I'm here for my youth service."

I thought as much. It's only God that will fight my battles and reward me. Anyhow sha, the Lord is my muscle.

"Oh wow. I'm really happy to see you oh." I opened the door and we walked in.

Aunty Oma was seated on the rug, typing away on her laptop that was on a pillow on her laps. I greeted her and made to leave for my room before I was called back to do something stupid for them. As God would have it, she called me back.

"Ma?"

"What's in that bag?" she pointed at the bag in my right hand.

I wasn't able to put it into my school bag because it was big and I had books and other stuff in my bag. One thing to note was that Leilah's parents didn't play with her birthday. What she wanted, she got. Her gifts were usually lit.

"Today was a classmate's birthday so she gave us gifts." 

"That's good. Mr Network where are you?" she rubbed her temple, looking frustrated.

Nobody sent me, but I said this, "And her cake was even from your bakery. I saw the logo."

"Really?" she rose her head, looking pleased.

"Yes."

"Nice."

"Yewande please get me a bar of toblerone from the freezer. There's a ziplock bag I kept there. Just get one. Thank you." it was no one other than Aunty Nelo.