Chapter 37|

Saturdays were like regular days for resident students in RPSS, but a bit laid-back. How much time you had to yourself on Saturdays depended on what grade and department you were in.

The day started with the shrill sound of the hostel bell which was rung by Ibidun, then her continuous taps and pleas for us to wake up.

When we eventually got out of bed, we would take our nightclothes off and put on outfits for sports. We had our morning sports outfit which was a pair of grey joggers and a white shirt, but we weren't compelled to wear them. As far as it was for sports, you could wear it.

After a few laps around the field, a basketball and tennis match and a few races, everyone would return to their rooms to rest before breakfast.

My friends and I would nap for thirty minutes then wake up to have our baths. After showering, some people put on what they had worn for sports if they hadn't done anything and it wasn't smelling of sweat. I always wore one of my house wears.

Our house wear was an Aline dress that usually stopped an inch or two below the knees. It had buttons in front, wide and flat collars and a belt behind. The dress also had pockets at both sides. Our house wear was made of striped materials of either red, pink, yellow, orange or blue colours. Final year students were allowed to wear mufti such as shorts, shirts and jumpsuits.

When the bell for breakfast was rung, we would leave for the refectory. After that, we would separate and go for our trade classes.
The management made it compulsory for students to attend vocational training classes. The options students could chose from included pottery, garment making, cooking, photography, painting, bead making and hairdressing classes. Nina and I attended garment making classes. Kari and Lolu took painting classes. Joju, Maro and Ibidun took pottery classes. Lolu and Banji took photography classes. And Muna and Leilah attended hairdressing classes.

Once classes were over, we could decide what we did for the rest of the day. Most times my girls and I either hung out with the boys or returned to our room to read or sleep.

I had promised Joju we would spend time together that Saturday, and I was going to keep my promise. Thankfully, I had nothing concerning the school blog or essay competitions to do that day.

After an impromptu meeting with the principal, he'd asked Leilah and Joju to wait back and dismissed the rest of us. I had expected Joju to meet me at the garden, but he didn't show up. That had made me think he didn't really want to spend time with me. And finding him by the fountain with a girl, TiaraOluwa, made me rethink the possibility of him playing me.

Before I went to meet them, I made sure to flush all my anger and jealously out. After fixing a plastic smile on, I walked up to them.

"Hey." I greeted.

"Finally." Joju sighed, hugging me.

"Hello." Tiara waved.

I gave her a tight smile and turned to Joju. "This is the Saturday you asked for."

"Later." He dismissed her.

She stood on her toes and wrapped her hands around his neck. "See you at lunch." She gave me a falsified smile and strutted away.

I clapped dramatically as we started walking towards the field. "I didn't know you were off the market."

"We got married?"

I looked at him incredulously. "Your girl, Tiara."

"Why do you think there's something between us?"

I shrugged. "Things I see and hear."

"Things like what?" He inquired.

"Never mind." I walked forward.