1.9 - Mahar's Blue Sea

Aenúrfít traversed across the stone ground as the sun's heat bore down. For the first time, Aenúrfít felt that Hairek's light was too strong. With every step, the First Life's massive feet burned from the heat, and its bushy hair felt coarse and dried out.

This was the third day of Aenúrfít's journey from Bark'Írkesh. The tall cone of the mountain had long disappeared from the horizon behind the creature, but there was no sign of Mahar's Blue Sea ahead. The searing stone plain laid out before the creature for countless strides, with no signs or marks to guide it.

"Aeth'Ún the All-Seeing, how far must I journey to reach Mahar's Blue Sea?" Aenúrfít called to the sky.

From high above, a soothing voice floated down to the creature: "First Life, my child, you must journey a great distance yet to reach Mahar's shores."

"Hairek's sun is too powerful," Aenúrfít said. "I fear that I cannot travel much longer without some relief."

Aeth'Ún pondered this for a few moments. He shifted his all-encompassing form around Aenúrfít and watched as the creature's hair stirred.

Aenúrfít shivered at Aeth'Ún's touch, but then laughed aloud. "Your breath is a great relief from Hairek's unceasing heat!"

Aeth'Ún moved the air again, rhythmically this time, and delighted as Aenúrfít's hair swayed to-and-fro. After some time, Aeth'Ún found that he could move the air in gentle breezes or powerful gusts, and so he became the Caressing Breeze and the Traveler's Relief.

Aeth'Ún's wind followed Aenúrfít along its journey, and the creature was glad for the Vaia's company.

"Aeth'Ún, you are the sky that embraces Gó'Dan and the sleepless watcher of all things in the Void," Aenúrfít said. "Do you not fear the darkness and emptiness?"

"I am emptiness, my child," Aeth'Ún said. "The Void is vast and dark, yes, but it is not to be feared – merely understood. By uncovering all of its secrets, we may know all there is to know about it, and never worry over what it might conceal."

"Is that why you allow Hairek to spread his light across the blackness? To see what might be seen there?"

Aeth'Ún chuckled, and the air around Aenúrfít trembled. "I can neither allow nor disallow Hairek," the Vaia replied. "He seeks to light our way in the Void, and his light guides my curiosity."

Aenúrfít did not want to anger Aeth'Ún or betray Hairek, who was a father. But it could not help feeling concerned over Hairek's persistence in his quest to consume the darkness. "What if his light becomes too powerful?"

"Mmm, Hairek is powerful, it is true," Aeth'Ún said, "perhaps the most powerful being in the Void. But I do not believe he would wantonly destroy the Void. After all, we are all here, within it. How could he destroy the very place he inhabits?" Aeth'Ún did not want to reveal his own concerns over Hairek's power, or the brightness of his children, the stars. The All-Seeing Vaia was not blind, after all. He knew that the Fin'Vai'ad who burned far off in the Void were imbued with Hairek's hunger and his will to consume the darkness. But that was not a burden he could lay on his child's shoulders.

"No, I suppose not," Aenúrfít said, and the creature trusted Aeth'Ún, who was very wise in all things.

Aenúrfít continued on its path as the cooling breeze swirled around. The barren stone ground began to rise steadily, almost imperceptibly. Eventually, Aenúrfít turned to look back in the other direction. The ground it had crossed with Aeth'Ún at its back had dropped noticeably. It was a valley to the land rise the creature now climbed. The air felt cooler up here, as well, and Aeth'Ún's breeze was not as prevalent.