4. Viper

A new drug had in Gotham. After the Arkam murders everything fell silent for a couple of seconds, a couple of seconds filled with fear for the next wave to come. It did silently, right under their noses. Luckily for all of them Joanna's network was working overtime and quickly found a trace of the poisonous substance. She hummed quietly to herself, on her way to the forensic department. She could have send Miss Kringle, yes, but Jo found herself in need of some company and strangely enough she found Edward's the most enjoyable.

With a steady hand she knocked on the wooden door.

The second her knuckles made contact with the brown wood, the group officers reached her. They laughed loudly, than one pushed the other in a joking manner. The man remained standing but bumped into Joanna. The vile in her hand shattered, it's sharp edges cutting through her skin like butter.

She drew in a sharp breath, dropping the broken shards and clutching her bleeding hand. The door opened, the person most likely curious what the sound was.

Edward frowned as he noticed Joanna standing in front of his door, her hand bleeding furiously. His eyes shot from the gash on hand to the glass shards on the floor, shards which were coated with red blood and a strange green substance. He had a good guess what it was. Something inside him switched.

Without hesitation he reached out and took hold of her arm. Jo didn't object and let herself being guided to a metal table. Edward sat her down and took hold of her hand. A small shard was still stuck deep inside. With steady hands he took hold of his tweezers, which were still conveniatelly on the table. He took hold of the chard and pulled it out. Jo gave a tiny winch and watched as more blood began pouring from the wound. A white bandage was placed over it before she could do anything else.

"How did it happen?" His voice was low, something Joanna wasn't used too.

"An officer bumped into me. I was going to ask you to give you a sample of the new drug"

"The new drug?" Jo nodded, her eyes drifting back to her hand. She flexed it. "It's in your bloodstream now."

Jo clenched her fist, her eyes raising up to meet his eyes. "It should have no effect. It should only have effect if it hits my lungs. Which it didn't"

"Nevertheless, I am going to run a full medical examination on you."

"If you must. Just do not tell detective Gordon or anyone else about this. They would just make a fuss about it" Edward cracked a smile, shaking his head.

"This won't take long" He nodded his head at her and went to search for his supplies. He resumed his position seconds later, a syringe in hand.

"I did not know you were skilled with medical procedures." Joanne asked, breaking the silent. Edward looked up from her arm, the needle already penetrating her beating vein.

"I went to med school." His eyes skimmed over hers before dropping back down, his whole focus on making sure not to hurt her more than necessary. "I finished it prematurely. I just found I didn't like helping people as much as I had thought."

"Well, for what it counts. You are helping me just fine" Edward retracted the needle and met her eyes, just in time to see an actual smile on her face. Something inside him s witched again. He blinked, his face turning beet red. He quickly stepped back, nearly fell over a chair and quickly stumbled to his desk.

"I- I'll have the results in a couple of hours" He mumbled, his eyes looking everywhere but her. Joanna's eyes narrowed a tad, her smile disappearing.

"Then I will be back around four" She slid off the table and straightened her pants. "Thank you for patching me up, as well as keeping this a secret"