(2): Maybe Next Time

And you can't keep us apart (Even a thousand miles can't keep us apart)

'Cause my heart is wherever you are <3

Zac

"Well, I'll be damned," I snorted. "Look who's here."

Ashley rolled her eyes as she walked inside. She didn't even bother to set down her bags, rushing over to give me one of her bear hugs. She messed up my hair like she usually does and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey there, hotshot," she smirked, sitting down next to me. She dropped her bags on my bed and shrugged. "How's it going?"

"Oh, same old, same old," I sighed, leaning in to kiss her on the cheek. "Only this time, I talked to my therapist about waffes AND pancakes, not just waffles."

She cocked her head to the side and rolled her eyes. "Careful," she said. "Eating all those waffles could be the death of you. Or at least, your abs."

"There are things I cannot live without," I said. "My abs aren't one of them."

She raised her eyebrows curiously and smirked. "For real though," she sighed again, resting her hand on mine. "How are you doing?"

"Better," I said. "Obviously better."

"Even without -."

"V visiting me even once?" I cut in for her, knowing all too well what she wanted to ask. She kept silent, chewing on her lower lip. "Hey," I said, wrapping my hand around hers. "I never expected her to come over here anyway."

"Why not?" she asked, then looked away as if appalled by her own question. "Uh, sorry I-."

I rolled my eyes and said, "Ash. We both know why. It hurts more to expect that she'll show up. I guess it's easier to live with remembering that she doesn't care anymore."

"Zac, you know that's not true," she said. "She'll always care."

"Always is not always true, you know," I said, smirking. "Always can sometimes just fade away."

"Not if you don't let it," she said. 

I scoffed. "I haven't," I said, letting her hand go. I wiped my hand across my face and buried my hands in my hair. "I really haven't, Ash. What sucks is, she did."

She closed her eyes and said, "Come here."

She wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tightly, rubbing her hand up and down my back. I hugged her waist and leaned my cheek on the top of her head. "I hate being un-manly," I scoffed again. "I'm an idiot."

Before she could respond, something grumbled louder than my own thoughts. 

"That completely ruined the moment," she laughed, letting go of me. "You are an idiot. A very hungry idiot."

I shrugged and crossed my arms over my chest. "I told them not to bring me lunch. I said I wasn't hungry."

"But of course that was a lie," she said. "Because, you my friend, are an eating machine. I don't know why they even believed you."

"My nurse believed me," I said, lying back down on my bed. "Right after I used the whole 'I can't eat because I miss eating outside this stupid place' act. Works every time."

"You really shouldn't do that," she scolded. "You're going to thin yourself out."

"Again," I said. "Bodily issues don't concern me right now."