2

My hand grasped the edge of the flap on the entrance of the tent, my head peeking in to see if my teacher was there. And there she was basked in all her stuckup glory.

"Lady Haidee, is that you?" She asked in a cold but calm and elegant manner. How she did it was a mystery.

My body automatically dropped in a curtsey, "Yes, Madame Lourdes."

She raised her head from the paper she was reading and glanced at me with scrutiny, "What are those . . . rags you are wearing?"

I rose from my curtsey and stood like how I used to in the palace, "I came from my self-defense training with General Firman. I hadn't the time to wear an appropriate attire."

She sighed and stood, "There's no other option, then. Go and look through the collection of dresses at the back, I expect you back in 3 minutes. Your duties await."

"Yes, madame," I answered and went towards the direction she pointed without showing my dislike. After the months I spent wearing pants again, I became a little unwilling to wear those stuffy dresses and annoying heels everyday. I started to wonder how I even tolerated such discomfort.

I scanned through the dresses trying to locate one that would flatter my figure but look modest. I decided on an ivory ruffled wrap dress that had a dainty ribbon decorating the left side of my waist. I put my hair down and patted it down in an attempt to make it look decent. When I declared myself presentable, I went back to where Madame Lourdes was seated.

Her eyes took in my appearance and nodded in satisfaction, "Alright, Lady Haidee. Please take your seat." She gestured towards the seat across from her and turned her head back towards the papers.

I obliged and sat down, placing my hands on top of each other atop my lap.

Madame Lourdes slid the papers she was reading to me. My eyes ran over the page as I took it in my hands.

King Gabriel, a friend of the needy.

The title almost made me rip the paper apart but I decided not to ruin my calm and instead looked at the old lady in front of me, "What is this for?" I asked her with a quirk of my brow.

"Pray tell, Lady Haidee," she said, ignoring my question as she rose, her fingers trailing the wooden table. "If your subjects were turning against you and creating a rebellion, what would you do?"

"I'd ask them what was wrong and fix it," I answered, "too straight-forward but better than ignoring it."

She raised a brow, seeming unimpressed by my answer, "And if your kingdom is facing a drought, would you keep the food in the palace for your family or distribute them to the people?"

My brows furrowed at all the questions she was throwing at me, but nonetheless, I answered, "Even if I'd give out all the food left in the palace, it still wouldn't be enough for the whole kingdom. I'd rather contact neighbouring nations for supplies and while waiting, give out the food evenly."

"If a rebellion kidnaps your son in exchange for the throne, what would you do?"

I was startled at that question and so paused in thought. If I were to choose the throne, I'd be sacrificing being a mother, but if I choose my son, I'll be sacrificing the live of my subjects. "I . . . I will review the goal of said rebellion and if their intentions are for the betterment of the country, I'll give them the throne. But if not," I pursed my lips as an image of Nicholas passed through my mind, "I'd have to choose my people."

Madame Lourdes nodded slowly, "A naive answer," she commented.

"I am not—"

"But very you, indeed, Lady Haidee," she continued with a satisfied smile.