Chapter Three

It was late by the time the Bennet girls got home. Mr. Bennet had enjoyed his evening alone, spent reading in his office, savoring the peace and quiet that was rare with 5 daughters. That peace was shattered once Lydia raced into the room, followed closely by her sisters and finally, Mrs. Bennet. "The girls were the bells of the ball, especially Jane!" She told her husband excitedly, settling herself into the office as if she planned to stay awhile. Mr. Bennet sighed and set aside his book, mentally preparing himself to hear all the inane details of their evening.

Lydia and Catie giggled, flopping on the floor with all the grace of a baby giraffe. "Ugh, I ate so much! Look how fat I am!" Lydia puffed her flat stomach out dramatically, earning another giggle from her closest sister.

"Me and Lydia danced to every song," Catie said proudly.

Mrs. Bennet nodded, confirming that they did, indeed, dance to every song, or no it was meant for dancing. "Mr. Bingley seemed to enjoy Jane's company more than any other young lady there," she told her husband. "He danced twice with Jane, then once with Charlotte, which of course was out of pity, then with Jane again! Later he danced with Lizzie, but then guess what he did?"

He had heard enough. "Please, spare me the details of his every last dance! I wish he had sprained his ankle on the first dance if that meant I didn't have to hear about him anymore." Lizzie hid a smile at her father's exaggerated exasperation.

"And his sisters, such charming young ladies." Mrs. Bennet paid no attention to her husband's protests. "I wish you could have seen them, so lovely, and such snazzy dressers. Mrs. Hurst's purse must have cost a fortune."

Mr. Bennet was beginning to wish he had locked the office door. "No purses, dear, I'm begging you." He held up his hands in a silent prayer that God would strike him down and put him out of his misery.

That reminded Mrs. Bennet of something. "Oh, but that man Mr. Bingley brought with him, they call him Darcy. He's not worth the salt of our tears. He may be rich and handsome, but I declare there is not a more self-righteous, uptight man in the entire world. He even insulted poor sweet Lizzie!"

Her words finally struck on something that Mr. Bennet cared about. "Insulted my Lizzie, did he?" He laughed quietly, imagining the words Lizzie would have for any man that dared insult her.

"I'm not his biggest fan, either, so it doesn't matter," Lizzie added, brushing off the remaining sting of Darcy's comment.

Mrs. Bennet didn't let the man in question off the hook so easily. "I would, hands down, refuse him next time, if he asks you to dance," she said, crossing her arms.

That made Lizzie chuckle. "I'm sure I can safely promise to never dance with him, mom." She doubted he would ever have another chance to ask her, anyway.

Even though it was still stifling hot during the day, the nights had started to cool a bit

Even though it was still stifling hot during the day, the nights had started to cool a bit. Charlie was taking full advantage of this, convincing everyone to sit on the screened-in porch as they wound down the evening. He enjoyed watching the lightning bugs flashing through the garden of his new home.