Heroes Rise Pt. 4

HEROES RISE Arc Part 4

Eidolon

Noun: Eidolon; Plural Noun: Eidola; Plural Noun: Eidolons

Meaning: An idealized person or thing; a specter or a phantom.

Such thoughts ran at the back of his mind even as he stepped unnoticed among his targets. At the moment he truly was an eidolon - a phantom in their midst.

Planeswalker made all those of lesser dimensions ignorant of his presence.

A finger flicked.

An unheard thwip resounded in his ears as monomolecular wires - thinner than a single strand of hair yet 300 times stronger than steel - shot to a wall and weaved into intricate patterns under his careful and masterful control.

Izuku's lips twitched in a small expression on his otherwise blank facade; finding humor at the thought and the personal significance of the word.

... "How interesting... " her silky voice crept in his ears and into his battered mind. He was exhausted both mentally and physically. The tortures he had endured in the name of training had drained him of his faculties. "I wonder if this could be called fate, or coincidence, for there to be another?" smooth fingertips grazed his sunken cheeks even as he tried-and failed-to move away. "For you, my dear, to attain singularity... Fufufu. How truly interesting." His head was tilted up and his tired eyes met her ruby gaze. "Are you perhaps the ideal, or are you the phantom that we would chase? Who will you be... little Eidolon?"...

Another finger twitched; perhaps harder than intended.

Another thwip was heard by him alone and a shimmer in the air was almost seen by the prey he had been hunting; careful control lost in a sudden rage and hidden fear.

Izuku clicked his tongue, annoyed that he had gotten shaken by a far-off memory and as a result he had gotten sloppy over the execution of a rather simple maneuver. He had been lucky that the shimmer had been miniscule and unnoticeable and that no one was paying attention.

Izuku had spotted who seemed to be the Commanding Officer and his second in command earlier on the upper balcony that looked upon the whole warehouse, however, he had decided to leave those two on their own for now. He would rather eliminate the foot soldiers first rather than the officers.

He was not in a hurry, after all.

It would take some time before the other Hunters - the Heroes and the Police - find the tracks that would lead them to his prey.

Though they were certainly dangerous, he could confidently say without hubris that he could defeat them just fine but, he would prefer to face them after he dealt with their numbers a bit.

No need to make things more complicated.

He was powerful, and there could be no doubt about that, but Izuku was never careless. He would never allow himself to fall into complacency.

Complacency brought stagnation.

Stagnation bred weakness.

Weakness will lead you to death.

This was one of the first lessons he had learned; one that had been drilled into his head until his every waking moment had been driven by this lesson.

It was a core tenet of his being.

Unnoticed, he had slipped into the middle of the group of hostages. Izuku ignored their cries, protests, threats or the snide comments made towards the group of mercenaries that took them from their leisurely night; he had no need, nor the interest, for such insignificant people.