15. The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me

Chapter 15

A knock to the door was what woke Lauren the next morning.

Her hand fumbled on the nightstand to switch off her alarm but when the persistent sound did not stop, she squinted one eye open and peered through the mass of hair covering her eyes to confirm that it was earlier than her alarm was set for. She'd fallen asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow last night but her head protested like she'd been drinking heavily when she swung her legs over the side of the bed and righted herself, dragging her feet all the way over to the source of the noise.

"Who is it?"

"Liza, now open up."

Lauren tamed the hair on top of her head and unlocked the door to reveal Troy on the other side of it, holding two cups of coffee. She took one with a relieved groan and headed back inside the room with him following behind. "I love you."

"I think you love Camila," he said. To Lauren's silence, he added, "She got everyone a coffee this morning. Delivered it personally, and everything."

It felt better in the room once the curtains and windows were open. It looked like another scorcher outside and she was once again grateful for the air conditioning of the room that afforded her some relief. She sat down on the other side of the couch that Troy had sat on. "So why am I stuck with you?"

"Well, aren't you a delight this morning."

Lauren smiled ruefully. "I didn't mean it like that," she promised.

"And because some of us were up and showered by the time Miss Cabello knocked on our door. I mentioned that I was on my way up here and she asked if I would bring yours."

"Why?"

"I don't know. Ask her later. How are  you doing?"

"Like I drank more than a couple of Roadkill Lauren's before turning in." She took the lid off her coffee and blew on the surface, taking a sizeable mouthful once she'd decided that it wasn't going to scald her throat. "Ask me again once the effects of this, psychological or not, have kicked in. How did Camila look?"

"Like she was going for a run."

"I didn't mean her clothes. Besides, Camila doesn't run."

"She was dressed for the gym," Troy shrugged, giving Lauren a suspicious side-eye after a second. "She looked awful. Exhausted, too. By your own admittance, you look like something the cat dragged in."

"I didn't say that."

"Speaking of cat, did Camila keep you up all—" Lauren's scoff was enough to cut him off.

"Can you not be so crude first thing in the morning? In case you forgot, we were all up late."

"Yes, but did she stay with you?"

"No," Lauren denied. "Do you have a point?"

"By the defensive tone to your voice, I think I can safely assume the point has been made."

"Sometimes I wonder why we're even friends."

Troy stared at her and debated if now was the right time. Alfie and Ally told him to keep his mouth shut, but skipping over this subject felt like a wrong move to make. "I didn't mean to upset you."

"Well, you did," Lauren snapped dramatically, her lips barely touching the surface of her coffee again before she pulled them away. "And can you not talk about her like that? It makes me want to throw a hairbrush at you."

"Lauren, you've spent more time with Camila than me the past couple of months." She fell against him, groaning.

"Don't be the jealous friend, Troy," she whined. "She needs me."