16. It Takes An Ocean

Chapter 16

The rehabilitation centre was not what Camila had been expecting when Troy and Ally first brought it up a week ago at the studio. She'd pictured being taken to a crowded relief shelter and the worst possible state of disaster instead of being taken to one of the safer, more re-developed areas that was steadily being rebuilt from the constant support of the community and generous donations of time and money from the public.

It was also a smaller scale development than she'd imagined, with twenty or so houses in various stages of rebuild. The houses at the front of the site were mainly complete except for aesthetics and the ones near the back had the most work left to finish. The group were there to assist in any way they could, as long as it was approved by a person of authority on site.

They were to be split up into pairs.

As soon as that information was shared, Camila looked away from the site manager and chanced a look to the left where she knew Lauren was standing, with four people between them. She wondered if their partners would be chosen for them like some sort of school project but no, they were free to choose themselves as long as they were quick about it. Lauren and Troy were the first two to pair up. Camila wouldn't have had the courage to look her in the eyes anyway, so it was probably for the best that they would spend the morning apart. She understood that after last night Lauren wouldn't want anything to do with her today, perhaps even for a while. Camila could rationalise it. If Lauren needed some time -and judging from the way she'd avoided her all morning that was indeed the case, then Camila would keep some distance.

Justin and Grayson hadn't said a word to her yet. As everyone had waited in the lobby for Lauren (the last member of the group to join them) earlier in the morning, those two had stood off to the side talking, looking like they were about to question Camila for an update until Lauren breezed past everyone wearing oversized sunglasses and sans her typically warm good morning greeting and strode right up to Troy, joining their hands and continued out to the car without a word. By then it was obvious that she was no longer clueless.

While Camila was preoccupied thinking of last night's events, Bebe called out her name to say that she was with her for the day.

Bebe wanted to get stuck into it so they ended up near the back of the development while Lauren and Troy stayed near the front, something Camila was unsure if was intentional or not. As she and Bebe headed away following the site manager to their plot, she looked back and opened her mouth to say anything but nothing came out. If Lauren wanted to talk, Camila was certain she'd know about it. She turned away just as Lauren lifted her head.

Camila and Bebe's job was to assist with the building of a porch.

It was harsh in the sun, even in October, but Bebe had brought plenty of sunscreen and didn't hesitate to run back to the tent where all of their belongings were being kept. Once they were both suitably protected, Bebe was about to excuse herself to put it back when she caught sight of an attractive construction worker and couldn't help but point out the dangers of over-exposure to the sun and why it was in his best interest to protect himself. It was all worth it when he took off his vest and asked her to put some on his shoulders.

The people were funny and friendly and their instructions were easy enough to follow. They were each given a hard hat, necessary tools, and a hi-vis jacket that they were to wear when walking through delivery and vehicle routes. When a certain construction worker told Bebe she looked cute in hers, she kept it on at all times despite the stifling heat. Camila wound hers through a belt loop and tied it into a knot. There was no way she would be wearing anything other than the clothes she'd put on this morning.

The porch foundation had been started the day before, so that and half of the floor had been laid by the time lunch rolled around. She and Bebe, under constant supervision, had been handed the correct sized slats of wood to fix down and it was just good to have something else to focus on. It saved her from going crazy. The light-hearted digs from the construction workers over the red blisters on her hands were also helpful.