Children [Ch 4]

I sigh softly, looking up at the pair of pseudo siblings as I walk out of the room. They had been whispering, but as soon as they noticed me they stopped. My brow furrowed. I opened my mouth to speak as I stepped closer, then I heard the door open behind me and felt a hand grab my wrist. I jump a little, looking at Jameson with wide eyes as I pull my hand away.

"Wait, uh... Got anything planned after this...?" Jameson asks. I start to speak, but I'm cut off by Naomi responding

"I can assure you that we have nothing planned."

I attempt to protest, "But what about-"

"Nothing at all!!" Naomi interjected again.

Something was up, and I couldn't fight it. "Na-"

"I'm sure whatever you're thinking about doing is something she can accompany you in."

Jason sighs softly, looking me dead in my eyes. "You sure? I don't want you to feel forced, Alice." He rose his brow, and I sighed softly. Why...

"... I'm sure" I respond and he smiles. Is it just me or has his smile... Changed somehow? It feels different.

The dark cloud I had associated with him since youth seemed to fade slightly.

"Alright, meet me here at six. Unless you'd rather me go to your place...?" He asks, smiling more.

Naomi didn't even give me a chance, responding "Just give us your number, she'll text you the address."

"You're starting to pressure her, Naomi..." Ale warned, and I scoffed. She's been doing that... I pull out my phone and open contacts, setting it up for him and passing him the phone.

"I guess just type the number in."

He smiled at me, and nodded as he took it. Hell, this felt weird, I'm not used to him being... Friendly. I couldn't say anything about it, though, watching him type it in with a soft sigh.

"I'll text you later..." He hummed, passing my phone back...

-+ hours later +-

I sigh softly, settling into the bench outside and waiting. Naomi sent me outside a little early, after deciding she had to doll me up for some stupid reason. I had my complaints, but she wouldn't listen, so now I'm in one of her little black dresses and flats. Fun.

I sit up a little when I hear my phone's default notification sound. I pull my purse up from underneath me, setting it in my lap and popping it open before getting my phone.

Oh, it's just Jameson...

- Jameson : almost to the
  apartments.
- Jameson : Ready?

Alice : sitting on a bench  
outside -

I text him back. Not too long after, a Chevrolet Impala parked in one of the nearby parking spots, surprising me. I was too busy staring at it, admiring how well kept it appeared for a car from the late 60's that I didn't notice the male stepping out until the door shut, distracting me from my thoughts.

"I'm guessing you like it?" Jameson asked as I found myself a little flustered. I hadn't expected him of all people to be a cars guy.

"Yeah, it looks nice." I respond curtly, trying to avoid being awkward as I stand up and grab my purse.

He looked like he'd been sent on some kind of secret mission, as he was wearing a sleek black coat and sunglasses. All he was missing was a hat and popped collar. Or at least just a briefcase. It was a little silly to see.

He smiles at me, meeting me half way as I'd walked towards his car. "You look nice... Did Naomi force you to dress up?" He asks, a faint grin playing at his lips. I furrow my brow, a little surprised at his reply.

"Rude... But yes."

He frowned faintly at my reply but nodded, stepping back a little. "Anyways, let's go. I hope you like coffee." He sighed.

After a short ride with nothing but awkward speechlessness and music, we ended up at a small Coffeehouse. He parked as close as he could, stopping the car and glancing over at me. I only barely glanced back, before looking out the car door as I opened it and got out.

It's hard to imagine that Jameson is here. That he's not...

Ah, what am I saying? I doubt he even can find anything to tease me for... I hope.

I blow the small bit of hair from my face out of habit, before hearing his voice beside me suddenly. "Are you alright?" He asks, his voice making me jump a little.

"J-just distracted..." I stutter, feeling awkward and flustered.

I mentally sigh in relief when he just nods, responding "alright... Well, let's go in then..." I feel like an idiot as I follow him inside.

It isn't long before we're seated by the window, waiting for the waiter and hoping for a lifeline of any sort. It was silent.

I stared at the table, silently contemplating just getting up and walking out before a woman walks over. She looked like she was related to the weeb from earlier... But, the only evidence was in her facial features. It was obvious that their personalities clash, if they do know each other.

"Hello, welcome. What would you like to drink?" She asked rather directly.

"Black coffee." I responded quickly, and Jameson seems to stall because of that. Did I just catch him off guard?

After a moment of silence, he mutters sheepishly "Coffee with extra cream..." I try not to snicker at his already small fragile ego. Where had that elementary dingus gone?

She leaves with a huff, and we fall back into uncomfortable silence. My eyes turn to the window beside me, then I swallow my pride and ask "So... What's happened? Since elementary?" He gave me an alarmed look, and I shrink back a little. His eyes then soften, and land back on the table.

"... Stuff."

Again, silence. We had no words to share. No jokes, or memories. We were here to catch up and break the ice, but even that was impossible. I try again with the small talk, not wanting things to be awkward. "So... How'd you get into acting?" I ask. Again, he makes sudden eye contact.

"I... I'd rather not talk about that, either."

"Then what? What do we talk about? Because I, for one, am tired of just being silent."

"What made you this talkative? Last I saw you, you didn't want to talk to me."

"That was when we were children, asshole."

"So was the bullying, yet you still seem scared of that."

Then we both fell silent. I was in shock that he could tell, and he seemed surprised that he said it.

Slowly, I look down. The rest of the 'date' was silent. The ride home was silent. Even when I trudged into the apartment, I was silent.

Naomi was out with her brother, so I was alone with my thoughts, and ironically all of my thoughts were of being alone. I just sat on the couch, curled up in fetal position and questioning why I even agreed to go.

It feels like, even now, we're just children, unable to get along and share our space.