Chapter 21: Two People Become One

The Trikru camp was in total celebration mode, apparently during long term peace unions were celebrated with huge parties. Clarke stood watching as the women of Echo's family ran through the camp with strips of furs in their hands trying to hit Bellamy. It was tradition to see if the man was worthy or not to be a husband, if he managed to make it through the camp without being hit it was a good sign of a strong husband.

"Run Bellamy!" Octavia yelled as she stood watching, laughing as she watched her brother running away from five women and an elderly woman who was yelling in Trigedasleng as she ran after them.

"I'm running!" Bellamy yelled as he ran past her and between tents. "Damn Grounder traditions!"

Clarke leaned towards Octavia, "how come they didn't make Lincoln do this?"

"It's Lincoln," Octavia looked at her with a 'seriously' glare. "There's no question about him protecting me."

"This is true."

Clarke turned and moved back into the tent to see Lexa walking circles around Echo, the woman stood silent as another stood off to the side holding the newest Blake to enter the world two months before.

"Your husband is not a warrior in Trikru ways but he is a warrior. As such you must be prepared for the secrets of being a warrior's wife." Lexa stopped in front of Echo. "Are you prepared to know such secrets and keep them without them passing your lips?"

Echo nodded softly, "sha Heda."

"First, as a warrior of equality you must see that he knows you are equal to him. To command you would do you dishonor, if he attempts to command you then you must strike with your blade but do not harm him for that would be a mercy."

Clarke stood watching, placing a hand on Costia's head when the toddler walked over and clutched her mother's dress. The so-called secrets were never divulged to her but she knew they really didn't apply considering Echo was the warrior not Bellamy. If anything, Bellamy was the equivalent of Lexa at Camp Jaha so Echo was about to become consort to the camp's leader.

"Second, when your husband comes to you and seeks you in his bed, go to him. It does no matter what he is covered in whether it be blood or mud or clean water. Satisfy his pleasure and you will have his ear, anything you want can be yours."

"It is I who seeks Bellamy to my bed." Echo stated with a slight smirk. "He leads till he sleeps, if I wish a union I must demand it and he then gives."

The look on Lexa's face made Clarke have to hold in laughter, apparently the idea that Echo had to drag Bellamy between the furs was not something the Trikru leader was expecting.

"I think I should impart some Skaikru marriage secrets." Clarke stated as she neared the two, Lexa turned to look at her with a nod. "You're always right, no matter the situation. He'll learn that quickly. Second, if he does something anger you then throw something at him and walk out of the room. Third, always tell him you love him before you go to sleep because the next day a battle might rage and you might lose one another. Last," Clarke took Echo's hand and held it as she smiled. "Love him as if there is no tomorrow."

The warrior nodded before smiling slightly, "I believe I understand."

"Then you are ready." Lexa stated and noticed the elderly woman walk through with strips of fur in her hands. She held them out and nodded, a grin on her face. "It would seem Bellamy evaded your family and is worthy of your hand."

Clarke found herself wanting to throw her hand over her eyes and shake her head because of the ridiculous comments escaping her wife's mouth over a period of two days. Two days Lexa had seen both Trikru and Skaikru traditions were maintained but at the expense of making comments that had Clarke on the edge of laughter and screaming.